Lemons, they evoke the scents of summer. Visions of sitting on a lawn, reading in the shade with warm breezes caressing your face, and a cool glass of lemonade at your fingertips. It's been said that if the magic that is baking can produce this marvelous bread, then anything is possible, especially a beautiful new day.
This bread is very lemony, very tasty, and very easy to make. There is something so fresh and bright about lemon desserts producing a tang that balances out the sweetness. This is a delightfully moist bread, and saturated with its lemony flavor, is great for dessert, breakfast, for morning tea, or as an anytime snack. This glazed lemon bread is one that even Betty Crocker herself would be glad to have created with her own two hands. All your friends will cheer when you bring this out for dessert, and it is very good either warm or cold.
Glazed lemon bread
- 1/2 cup of milk or soy milk
- 1/2 cup of tofu, mashed
- 1 cup of maple syrup granules
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice (Check out the video on how to get more juice from a lemon).
- 1 and 1/4 cup of unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of raisins (or nuts if you prefer)
- non stick cooking spray
- Note: for a chocolate flavored bread, substitute 1/4 cup of the flour for 1/4 cup of carob powder.
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup granules
- 3 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice
Method for the bread;
- Mix together the milk, mashed tofu, maple syrup granules, applesauce, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix well.
- Stir in the raisins (or nuts).
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan greased with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Method for the glaze;
- Start making the glaze 5 minutes before the bread is done.
- Combine the 1/4 cup of maple syrup granules and the 3 tablespoon of lemon juice in a small bowl.
- When the bread comes out of the oven, pour the glaze over the bread while it is still hot.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing the lemon bread from the pan.