California avocado season is around the corner. From April through September, we get a steady stream of local, ripe, deliciously creamy Hass avocados, perfect for snacks, salads and sauces.
This truffled avocado mousse is an elegant appetizer combining creamy avocados, tangy creme fraiche, a hint of lemon, and musky truffle oil. If you have fresh or canned black truffles to adorn the top, great; if not, don't worry. This truffled avocado mousse will be just delicious either way.
- 2 ripe avocados, any variety
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 Tablespoon black truffle oil (I prefer Sabatino Black Truffle Oil)
- 1 generous pinch truffle salt (I prefer Sabatino Truffle Sea Salt)
- 4 dozen 2-inch rounds white bread, toasted (cut with a cookie cutter from 1 loaf soft white bread)
- 1 fresh or canned black truffle
Put the avocado flesh, lemon juice, creme fraiche, truffle oil, and truffle salt into the bowl of a food processor. Blitz until the ingredients are completely combined and the mousse is smooth as silk. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
Transfer the truffled avocado mousse to a zip-top plastic bag fitted with a small star tip. Carefully pipe a swirl of the avocado mousse onto each round of toast. Garnish with grated or minced fresh truffle. Serve immediately.