If you've got it, flaunt it. That appears to be the new mantra for "True Blood" star Joe Manganiello, who is showing off his six-pack abs (no, make that eight-pack abs) in a documentary about male strippers, reported Entertainment Weekly on Jan. 17.
His voyage into voyeurism began when he played a dancer in "Magic Mike." Prior to that, Joe was more interested in working out than showing the results of those workouts. (He's even authored a book about his intense fitness regime and low-carb diet: "Evolution: The Cutting Edge Guide to Breaking Down Mental Walls and Building the Body You've Always Wanted" - click for details).
“I had zero interest in male stripping prior to Magic Mike. As a straight male, I had a lot of misperceptions about the industry,” admits Joe.
However, when he received the offer to perform in "Magic Mike," Joe was fascinated by the tales that he heard. It was "really just mind-blowing. It was sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll. It was the rock star lifestyle.”
And thus came the sizzling documentary, "La Bare." Joe believes that it will appeal to those who wanted more from "Magic Mike" when it came to the dancing dudes.
"People would walk out of Magic Mike saying ’I loved it but I wish there was more of the guys. I wish I knew more about them, where they live, who they go out with, what their lives are like.’ So I knew there was a lot left on the table,” he explained.
But for those who go to see the film and assume Joe was born with that ripped body, you're wrong. In a recent interview with the New York Daily News, Joe emphasized, "I was not blessed with the genes to put on muscle weight. I’ve never touched a steroid."
So what are the secrets to developing a smoking hot stripper physique?
In addition to putting hours in the gym working out, Joe says that a low-carb diet is critical for sleek physique success. By eating high protein, low carb meals every few hours, "You’re training your body not to store anything, and that in conjunction with a fat-burning cardio program raises metabolism.”
So what's a day like in his diet? Joe recently revealed all to Rachael Ray:
- 7:25 a.m: "Before heading out, I mix granola with Fage plain Greek yogurt and have a glass of water with Gold Standard whey protein, which builds my strength for training."
- 10:15 a.m: An egg-white omelet with ham, peppers and feta cheese, a little cup of fruit and black coffee with Splenda.
- On the way to filming: Two chicken breasts -- oven-roasted, no the fattening rotisserie! -- with corn and green beans plus six baked buffalo chicken wings with hot sauce.
- 6:30 p.m.: "Italian-style salmon with leafy green vegetables -- full of nutrients! -- and a cup of coffee. It's my daily special".
- 10:15 p.m: "I eat a couple of sugar-free Popsicles for dessert while I catch up on email. When I'm training for True Blood, I don't eat any sugar except for some fruit here and there. So it's no sugar, no bread, no real carbs all day."