The first storm of the 2014 tropical season in the Atlantic is gradually gaining strength with potential to be even stronger than first thought. As it passes over the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, plus a slow forward movement, it has more time to organize. It is doing just that.
Adjustments for the track and timing of any tropical system is common, especially early on in the process. This based on a two key factors:
· Actual location of the center
· Forward speed of the center. As of this morning, 6 mph to the north is a crawl, but a slight change would dramatically impact how it interacts with another system.
The pass by eastern North Carolina’s Outer Banks (OBX) has been adjusted from overnight Thursday to Friday afternoon. The location of the center just east of Cape Hatteras is due to the cold front expected to pass Maryland Thursday night. That will give this the nudge a little farther east. That may be good news for Virginia Beach, Ocean City, MD and northward, but bad news for OBX and their July 4th plans. But the storm should be well off the coast Friday night, allowing for most east coast fireworks displays to go off.
National Hurricane Center update:
SUMMARY OF 500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
· LOCATION...28.4N 79.1W
· ABOUT 90 MI...145 KM E OF CAPE CANAVERAL FLORIDA
· ABOUT 310 MI...495 KM S OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
· MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H
· PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 360 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
· MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...996 MB...29.42 INCHES
WATCHES AND WARNINGS
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...
A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM BOGUE INLET NORTH CAROLINA TO
OREGON INLET NORTH CAROLINA...INCLUDING PAMLICO SOUND.
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM SOUTH SANTEE RIVER SOUTH
CAROLINA TO SOUTH OF BOGUE INLET....AND FROM NORTH OF OREGON INLET
TO THE NORTH CAROLINA/VIRGINIA BORDER...INCLUDING EASTERN ALBEMARLE
THE TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED SOUTH OF SEBASTIAN
SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...
A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* BOGUE INLET TO OREGON INLET NORTH CAROLINA
* PAMLICO SOUND
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* EAST COAST OF FLORIDA FROM SEBASTIAN INLET TO FLAGLER BEACH
* SOUTH SANTEE RIVER SOUTH CAROLINA TO SOUTH OF BOGUE INLET NORTH
* NORTH OF OREGON INLET NORTH CAROLINA TO THE NORTH
* EASTERN ALBEMARLE SOUND
A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE
WITHIN THE WATCH AREA. A WATCH IS TYPICALLY ISSUED 48 HOURS
BEFORE THE ANTICIPATED FIRST OCCURRENCE OF TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE
WINDS...CONDITIONS THAT MAKE OUTSIDE PREPARATIONS DIFFICULT OR
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...IN THIS CASE IN 36 TO 48 HOURS.
Prior Arthur reports:
Other articles you might be interested in:
Superstorm Sandy Related Articles:
*Kid Weather App:
Learn more cool things like this about weather. See the app I made with my son who is now in 1st grade. We have over 400 items of trivia plus live weather and forecasts for kids. See more and links for your device atkidweatherapp.com
Also keep up to date via
Facebook: Justin Berk, Meteorologist