Sometimes just thinking about baking something is a daunting task. You've gathered your supplies, preheated your oven, and now you have to make magic happen. Here are some tips and tricks that will make baking much easier.
1. Buy an oven thermometer. Sometimes the temperature you set is slightly off and you won't have to guess with this handy gadget. No more wondering why your cake is still gooey inside after it's been in the oven for the allotted time.
2. When measuring sticky ingredients, spray your measuring cup with cooking oil. The ingredient will slide right out and make for an easier clean up!
3. Speaking of cooking spray, always spray over your sink. This will prevent your floor or counters from getting greasy.
4. When making cupcakes, put the batter in a ziploc bag and cut a hole in a bottom corner. This is easier than spooning the batter into each tin and it’s a significantly cleaner method.
5. Freeze unfrosted cakes for up to two months. Just make sure they are properly sealed.
6. Ever need to bake less than 12 cupcakes or muffins? Pour water into the empty cups of the muffin tin. The water helps the cupcakes bake and rise more evenly.
7. When making brownies, line your pan with foil or parchment. When they’ve cooled, you can simply lift the foil out of the tray and not worry about anything sticking.
8. NEVER remove a cake from its pan while it is still hot. Always allow the cake to cool or you’ll be very unhappy with the results.
9. Once you place something in your oven, do NOT open it again until it’s time to test for doneness. The hot air will escape and drop the temperature of the oven.
10. Do not use spreads in place of butter. Spreads contain less fat and more water and will not give you the results you’re looking for in a baked good.
11. Always measure everything when baking. Baking is like science. There’s a reason for every ingredient and its designated amount in a recipe.
12. Use measuring spoons, not eating utensils. Measuring spoons are more exact.
Utilize these tips and you’ll be guaranteed a delicious baked good, a cleaner kitchen and a happier baker!