Tribute to the Nevis stargazer Jim Johnson

jim_with_a_coconut.jpg

Comments

• Ted Nelson 5 years ago

Wish I had the pleasure to meet Jim Johnson. There are certain people who have such charisma that you will never forget them and he certainly seemed like one of them.

• Debbra Brouillette - Tropical Travel Examiner 5 years ago

Love this pic of Jim! And the video is priceless! Greg and his wife were there when we were last July. Your tribute is touching and special. I feel privileged to have met and interviewed him; just wish I could have spent some adventurous hours with him on the mountain.

• Madigan Pratt 5 years ago

I had the pleasure of taking a stroll down the beach with Jim one morning at Nisbet Plantation. Seems we couldn't go ten steps before Jim would stop and point out something interesting an untrained eye would never see. Like how to stack three tiny seashells to make a miniature snowman.

And he was constantly picking up trash and storing it in his bag for later(proper) disposal. If, together we didn't have enough strength to to pull a recalcitrant piece of rope from the sand Jim would cut it off with his knife and place what he could in his bag. An ardent environmentalist.

I've seen the video of Jim on a rain forest walk many times and was planning on going on one next time I was at Nisbet. That won't be possible now.

But I will always cherish our walk on the beach. I don't think anyone who ever had the pleasure of meeting Jim Johnson will ever forget the time they spent with him. And tehre aren't many people you can say that about.

We miss you Jim.

• Jan Ashcraft 5 years ago

A beautiful tribute to such a great and fascinating guy. He will be missed by so many. Glad we got to meet him together my sister/friend!

• Debi 5 years ago

My condolences at the loss of your friend and colleague. He sounds like a lovely human being.

• Cathy 5 years ago

Jim was one of my big brothers, I was his baby sister. He was definitely one of a kind. He loved his family, his friends, Nevis and life. The world was his classroom and his church. I learned a lot from him during his time on earth and the more time I spend on the internet I learn even more. I miss him dearly and always will. He was taken from us way to early. Thank you for all the wonderful memories, the prayers and the words of comfort. Jim would be very humbled and yet honored.
    Jim, save me a spot. I know you will tell me all about it when I see you the next time. Love, your baby sis, Cath

• Patty Davis 5 years ago

My condolences to the friends of Jim Johnson and to his family.

• Jaimie Mancham-Case 5 years ago

Great tribute.

• Carol Hilker 5 years ago

If you go to Jim's Helium page you will notice that he wrote over 1400 articles on kids crafts, hiking, how to hitchike :) and various outdoor articles. You will also see that his biggest passion in life was watching his children grow up and spending time with him.

My heart goes out to Jim's family. I am sad this man passed away so young, with so many who love them. Thankfully through his writing, people like me, who never met him, also get a chance to honor him.

• Betty 5 years ago

So sorry to hear about Jim Johnson. He was truly a wonderful soul. He will be missed.

• Leslie Koch 5 years ago

Jim Johnson sounds like an amazing man. I wish I had known him.

• Ronna DeLoe - National Cooking Examiner 5 years ago

Thanks for this wonderful tribute. Your column and the Tropical Travel Examiner both did a great job informing us of this tragic event.

• Marc 5 years ago

A fitting tribute from you about someone who sounds absolutely amazing.