As Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, here are four ideas for treating your sweetie to something special theater style.
- In New York City, the musical “Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812” will be offering a special “Send a Love Letter to the One You Adore” at the Great Comet. Offered on shows from Feb. 11 – 16, this gives ticket buyers the opportunity to write what’s in their heart in 50 words or less and e-mail it to a designated e-mail show address. The message will be written on a special note and delivered to the person of your choice at the show. Check their website, thegreatcometof1812 for more information.
- New Jersey’s George Street Playhouse is offering a special Date Night package perfect for Valentine’s Day. The New Brunswick playhouse package provides “Two Seats, Two Drinks, and Two Tickets.” Check out this page on www.georgestreetplayhouse.org for more information.
- Shakespeare’s timeless love classic, “Romeo and Juliet” recently played on Broadway. The show which starred Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad was filmed and will be running as a movie in select theaters starting February 13. For locations, dates, and tickets, visit the BroadwayHD website.
- If a more traditional approach is what you had in mind, why not take a trip to Broadway and see one of the following shows that gives romance its fair share of time and attention:
- “Bridges of Madison County” - Still in previews, this show is the musical version of the movie which wowed romantics and got people reading the book too.
- “Phantom of the Opera” – The story of the love of the Phantom and his Christine is timeless and continues now in its 26th year on Broadway.
- “The Fantasticks” – One of the longest running shows in New York City, this Off-Broadway show holds something for lovers of all ages. If you saw this when you were younger, take a look at it again and don’t be surprised to find that you see something new in it.
As this article is going to press, it is snowing like crazy so if your celebration is being pushed back, check out these suggestions and see which ones might still be running.
Let’s hope that it’s love in the air this Friday for Valentine’s Day and not more snow!