Are you tired of wrangling friends or relatives to watch your dog while you go away on vacation? Are you sick of saying goodbye to your pooch at a kennel (and paying those fees)? If you've thought about, instead, traveling with your dog, you may be wondering where to start when planning your dog-friendly vacation.
First, you need to find a hotel or campground where your dog is allowed to stay. Some good apps and websites for helping with this are:
- Good Sam Camping App - This free app (iTunes and Google Play for Android) will help you find a private campground or RV facility where pets are allowed across the U.S.
- Petfriendlytravel.com - This website not only helps you find lodging (hotels as well as vacation rentals), but also pet-friendly beaches, airports, restaurants and activities. You can also list a vacation rental that you may offer that is pet friendly.
- Bringfido.com - This website, also an app, has "pet friendly travel experts" available via phone. You can use the app and website to find lodging, activities, restaurants and more that will accommodate you and your pet. Plus, this helps you find all these items worldwide - so you can even travel internationally with your pet!
Next, you need to also pack for your pet. Some items to include are:
- Water dish
- Fresh water, if you'll be camping
- Retractable leash
- Bone or chew toy
- Comfort item for when/if you need to leave your pet alone in a hotel room
Finally, think of and plan for activities you can enjoy with your pet. After all, you're bringing your pet along to enjoy the vacation, not to spend it along in a hotel room or at a camp site. Happy travels!