Photo: Ben Husmann
Having a baby is a wonderful, but expensive experience. Most people look for ways to save a few dollars, like taking hand me downs from friends and family or buying gently used items from Craigslist, tag sales or a consignment shop. Toys R Us and Babies R Us are encouraging parents to make sure used baby items are still safe for use, and offering an incentive to trade them in for newer, safer models.
From August 28 - September 20 Toys R Us/Babies R Us is holding "The Great Trade-In."
Here's how it works:
- Bring in a used baby item from the following list: used cribs, car seats, bassinets, strollers, travel systems, play yards and high chairs
- Get a 20% savings on the purchase of any new baby item in one of the categories listed above
Some other important details: New purchases must be made on products made by the following participating manufacturers: Baby Cache, Babi Italia, Baby Trend, Bertini, Britax, Chicco, Contours by Kolcraft, Cosco, Delta, Eddie Bauer, Evenflo, Graco, Jeep, Nature's Purest by Summer Infant, Safety 1st and Sorelle
Safety First: Sometimes newer really is better.
- Toys R Us points out that most people don't check recall information on used or hand me down products. To check a product to see if it has been recalled, visit the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission website.
- Some items, like car seats, actually expire as a result of material degradation. For example, the plastic can become brittle over time and the seat will not perform properly in the event of an accident.
- Used products are often missing instruction/safety manuals, which include important information on assembly or installation.
- Finally, newer products often have the benefit of technology enhancements that improve the safety and performance of an item.
Find your nearest Toys R Us or Babies R Us store
Read the press release with full details on the promotion.
Spend less and save more! Click on "Subscribe" (above) to receive email alerts every time I publish a new article.