Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Toxic substances for dogs

Toxic: beware!
Toxic: beware!
Google Images

Dogs get into things: sometimes it's bad and other times it's very bad. Occasionally all you’ll have to deal with is an upset tummy (like too many treats) but other times it requires immediate medical attention (like ingesting the contents of a medicine bottle). Often the fix is forced vomiting, fluids, and activated charcoal to soak up the bad stuff that didn’t come out. But the biggest factor on treatment is time line. Obviously, the sooner you catch the problem the better.

Many times, emergencies happen at the most inopportune times, so if your regular vet is closed and want advice, call one of these 3 pet poison control hotlines. All are available 24/7/365.

Angell Animal Poison Control Hotline: 877-226-4355 ($65 consultation fee)

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 888-426-4435 ($65 consultation fee)

Pet Poison Helpline: 800-213-6680 ($39 consultation fee)

Whether you call a helpline, your regular vet, an emergency vet, or just go in somewhere it helps to have some information like breed, age, sex, and weight of the pet or pets. Symptoms, the poisonous substance (if known) and the amount ingested and the time elapsed since, and the product container or packaging for reference.

If its chocolate your pooch got into, find out what the cocoa content was. The darker the chocolate, or the more cocoa it contains, the more toxic the effects if ingested. That information, if not included on the front of the package, can usually be found on the back.

Food items to avoid:

Alcoholic beverages, beer included




Macadamia nuts

Onions & Garlic

Grapes & raisins

Yeast dough

Xylitol (artificial sweetener common in candy)

Fruits with seeds/pits

Plants to avoid:


Tulip bulbs





Autumn Crocus


Peace Lily

English Ivy

Human Medications to avoid:

Pain killers

Cold medicines

Anti-cancer drugs



Diet pills

Birth control

Any situation where your furry friend eats something he shouldn’t can be scary, just keep a level head. And DO NOT induce vomiting on your own unless instructed to. Sometimes regurgitating can do more harm than good.

Here’s a more comprehensive yes/no guide from the ASPCA:

Report this ad