The high school basketball tournament does not officially start until next week with preliminary action scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday.
In class A, the top nine make the tournament with number eight hosting nine in a preliminary round game.
In class B, the top 13 make the tournament. The top three advance to the quarterfinals at Cross Insurance Center. The teams seeded four through eight will host a preliminary round game.
In class C, the top 11 make the tournament. The top five advance to the quarterfinals. The teams seed six through eight will host a prelim game.
In class D, the top 16 make the tournament. Teams seeded one through eight will host a prelim game.
This week, plenty of teams will be playing to determine tournament seeding.
Here are some of the big games scheduled for this evening.
- Stearns at Dexter - 6 p.m.- A win would secure a home prelim game for Stearns. Dexter will finish 4 or 5 and play a quarterfinal game on February 18th at 2 p.m.
- PCHS at PVHS- 6:30 p.m.- PCHS needs a win for a chance of advancing to the quarterfinals without playing a prelim game. PVHS still has an opportunity to host a prelim game.
- GHCA at Wisdom- 5 p.m.- Wisdom still has a chance for one of the 16 tourney spots in class D.
- Bangor at Lawrence- 7 p.m.- Bangor needs a win to have a chance to earn a spot in the class A tournament.
- MDI at John Bapst- 7 p.m.- If John Bapst could get one win against MDI or Foxcroft, they would get an opportunity to host a prelim game.
- MCI at Waterville- 6:30 p.m.- Waterville is in a battle with Hermon for the last tourney spot in class B.
- Shead at Woodland- 6:30 p.m.- A win would secure a home prelim game for Woodland.
- Oxford Hills at Brunswick - 7 p.m.- The winner will most likely end up with the #3 seed in class A, the loser the #4 seed.
- Cony at Edward Little- 7 p.m.- A win for Cony would put them in great position to lock down a tourney spot and most likely host a prelim game.
- Van Buren at Ashland- 7 p.m.- Van Buren still has an opportunity to host a prelim game.
- Machias at Jonesport-Beals - 6:30 p.m.- The Royals still have a chance for a tourney spot.
- Fort Kent at Presque Isle- 7 p.m.- Fort Kent is trying to get the last tourney spot in class C. Presque Isle still could host a class B prelim game.
- Lawrence at Bangor - 7 p.m.- The Bulldogs are looking for their second upset of the season over Bangor. A win would secure a home prelim game for Lawrence.
- Caribou at Houlton- 7 p.m.- A win for Caribou would give them the automatic trip to the quarterfinals at Cross Insurance Center.
- Lewiston at Mt. Ararat- 7 p.m.- Lewiston is looking for a tourney spot.
- Ellsworth at Hermon- 7 p.m.- Hermon can lock down a home prelim game. Ellsworth still has a chance to host a prelim game.
- Calais at Narraguagus- 6:30 p.m.- A win for Narraguagus, would clinch them a tourney spot and put them in the mix to host a prelim game.