From audition to selection to marching down the Rose Parade route, bands have “Inspiring Stories” to tell. The selections for the 2015 Rose Parade will be no exception. The Tournament of Roses announced on Thursday 18 of the 20 bands who will participate in 126th Rose Parade. The remaining two bands will be from the two universities chosen to participate in the Rose Bowl Game.
President Rich Chinen told Examiner in an interview earlier this year that his goal is to collect inspiring stories from around the world, including from band members who work so hard to get to Pasadena for Bandfest and the parade.
Selected units must demonstrate outstanding musicianship, marching ability and entertainment or special interest value. The process begins with an application and a packet of photos, videos and letters of recommendation nearly two years prior to the parade. They also must raise funds for travel and accommodations, because the Tournament does not pay for that. The president personally visits each group to issue a formal invitation, an event many musical organizations use as a fundraising opportunity.
Here are the music units that will march in the 2015 Rose Parade. As always, Los Angeles Unified School District, Pasadena City College, The Salvation Army, and the US Marine Corps bands will appear. The Tournament of Roses currently is accepting band applications for the 2016 Rose Parade. Please visit www.tournamentofroses.com/bandapplication for details.
- Blue Springs High School – The Golden Regiment, Blue Springs, Mo.
- Cavalcade of Bands Honor Band, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Cypress High School – Centurion Imperial Brigade, Cypress, Calif.
- Escuela Secundaria General #5, Manuel R. Gutierrez – Banda Musical Delfines,
- Veracruz, Mexico
- Helsingor Pipegarde – Elsinore Girls Marching Band, Denmark
- Koriyama Honor Green Band, Koriyama, Japan
- Lakota West High School – Marching Firebirds, West Chester, Ohio
- Legacy High School – Lightning Marching Band, Broomfield, Colo.
- Los Angeles Unified School District, All District High School Honor Band, Los
- Maui High School – “Saber” Marching Band and Color Guard, Kahului, Hawaii
- O’Fallon Township High School – Marching Panthers, O’Fallon, Ill.
- Pasadena City College Tournament of Roses Honor Band & Herald Trumpets, Pasadena, Calif.
- Robert E. Lee High School – Mighty Rebel Band, Midland, Texas
- Round Rock High School Dragon Band, Round Rock, Texas
- The Salvation Army Tournament of Roses Band, Los Angeles
- Temple City High School – The Pride of Temple City, Temple City, Calif.
- United States Marine Corps West Coast Composite Band
- Walton High School – Marching Raider Band, Marietta, Ga.
Like this story?
Columnists are not notified of comments via Disqus, so if you have a question or would like a reply to your comment, please post on Facebook at All Things Rose Parade or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The theme of the 126th Rose Parade and 101st Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1, 2015 is “Inspiring Stories.” Subscribe to Tournament of Roses Examiner by clicking the "Subscribe" link for the latest news and for upcoming announcements.