They’re back! The Budweiser Clydesdales will return to the Rose Parade in 2015, along with other favorite equestrian groups, Pres. Richard L. Chinen announced in a press release on Wednesday. There will be 18 units in the 126th Rose Parade, up from 16 in 2014.
R. Scott Jenkins, the 2014 Tournament of Roses President, brought the Budweiser team back to the parade after three years off. He used the antique beer wagon as his personal conveyance. The massive wagon was decorated by FTD florists J. Keith White and Patricia Gomez.
Groups that are new to the parade or have not appeared for several years are Los Angeles County Fire Department, Old Spanish Days in Santa Barbara, Prime Time Express Mounted Drill Team, United States Forest Service Pack String, Victorian Roses Ladies Riding Society.
Horsemanship is deeply ingrained in the Rose Parade. The parade was founded by The Valley Hunt Club in 1889, and of course the first floats were pulled by the animals. Last year’s Rose Queen, Ana Marie Acosta, is an equestrian who rides her Holsteiner gelding City Slicker in jumping competitions. When asked if she might like to ride him in the Rose Parade, she responded that he might be a bit skittish for a parade horse, that must be able to tolerate large, close-up crowds and a lot of noise.
At one time, in the 1930s, equestrians were required to use Spanish-style and tack, but now the units are chosen for unique tack and costumes, as well as a variety of breeds and showmanship. All riders must have previous parade riding experience. Most of the groups will participate in Equestfest, which takes place on Dec. 29, 2014. Equestfest showcases the riding, roping and shooting skills of both individuals and the units.
Equestrian units for the 2015 Rose Parade
In alphabetical order with name of the group marshal, the 2015 equestrian units are
- 1st Cavalry Division Horse Cavalry Detachment, Marshal: SSG Michael Hatfield
- Budweiser Clydesdales, Marshal: Sue Marler
- Hawaii Pa’u Riders, Marshal: Leiala Cook
- Hermanos Bañuelos Charro Team, Marshal: Ramon Bañuelos
- Los Angeles County Fire Department, Marshal: Carmen Mackey
- The Martinez Family, Marshal: Benny Martinez
- Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, Marshal: Jaci Hernandez
- The New Buffalo Soldiers, Marshal: C.F. Brown
- The Norco Cowgirls Rodeo Drill Team, Marshal: Mychon Brown
- Old Spanish Days in Santa Barbara, Marshal: Dennis Rickard
- Prime Time Express Mounted Drill Team, Marshal: Celeste Coffee
- Scripps Miramar Saddlebreds, Marshal: Michele Macfarlane
- Spirit of the West Riders, Marshal: Phil Spangenberger
- United States Forest Service Pack String, Marshal: Jim Wilkins
- United States Marine Corps Mounted Color Guard, Marshal: Sgt. Edgar Torrealba
- Valley Hunt Club, Marshal: James Keatley
- Victorian Roses Ladies Riding Society, Marshal: Jamie Gassert
- Wells Fargo, Marshal: Doug Murphey
Like this story?
If you have a question or would like a reply to your comment, please post on Facebook at All Things Rose Parade or email email@example.com. The theme of the 126th Rose Parade and 101st Rose Bowl Game on Jan. 1, 2015 is “Inspiring Stories.” Subscribe to Tournament of Roses Examiner by clicking the "Subscribe" link for the latest news and announcements.