Following is a moderate training plan for the upcoming Miami Tough Mudder event. Last month we got into the training with some beginning work. For the rest of the month of January, we will increase the workouts. These exercises work each part of your body and increase your cardio ability. Additional training plans will increase in time, frequency, and intensity. Use this plan each of the next four weeks, doing it four times a week. It should take around fifty minutes to complete.
Our second training routine is similar to the first in style. It will consist of timed sections that help with cardio and some obstacle course training. To start, take up to five minutes to warm up to get each muscle moving. Do some light jogging, shuffling, and some high knees. Each of the next four sections should take ten minutes.
The first section remains the same as last month and consists of:
- Run for two minutes, then do a minute of pushups
- Jumping jacks for two minutes, then a minute of standing squats
- Jump rope for two minutes, then a minute of planks on both forearms
- Rest for one minute
The second section remains the same and consists of:
- Two minutes of squat position with hands on the floor and then jump into the air and return to squat position, followed by one minute of sit-ups
- Two minutes of lunges, followed by a minute of walking pushups: get into pushup form then slowly walk your feet forward and then walk your hands forward and repeat
- Two minutes of side jumps (left and right) over a towel, then one minute of side planks
- One minute of rest
The third section is updated and consists of:
- Two minutes of climber skips where you reach high with one hand with driving your opposite knee as high as you can and then switching arms and knees and repeating as fast as you can; follow that with one minute of getting into squat position and jumping forward
- Two minutes of stationary high knee jogging followed by a minute of towel pull-ups by hanging a towel over a bar and doing pullups by only grabbing the towel
- Two minutes of quick feet: jumping up from your toes as fast as you can, and then a minute of single leg hops on your left leg, and then a minute of single leg hops on your right leg
The fourth section includes:
- Two minutes of jumping switches by placing one foot on an item and the other on the ground, jumping in the air and switching your feet; followed by a minute of planks on both forearms
- Two minutes of sprinting 20 yards, then jogging 20 yards and repeat; followed by a minute of tricep dips
- Two minutes of jumping (choose your favorite from the exercises above) followed by a minute of lunges
- One minute of rest
Cool down for at least five minutes after you get through all four sections. Do a slow walk or jog and stretch each of your muscle groups. Repeat this work out four times a week over the next four weeks. Check back next month for an updated and increased intensity workout. Remember that you will get results out of this equal to the intensity that you put into it.