Green Tips for Earth Day 2010!
By Nicole Cormier, RD, LDN
Earth day is a great opportunity to engage in small changes to improve your health and the environment. Whether you have a chronic illness or would like to prevent diabetes, heart disease or cancer, check out these green tips to support your overall health goals.
1. Buy locally made products.
2. Buy vegetables and fruits that are in season.
3. Ride a bike.
4. Walk, jog, or run.
5. Bring your own bags to the grocery store. Given a choice between plastic and paper, opt for paper.
6. Start compost in your back yard or on your rooftop.
7. Consider organic cleaning products like vinegar, borax, and baking soda.
8. Teach kids about the environment.
9. Reuse. Plastic food containers make good crayon and marker holders.
10. Learn about threats to ocean life and help Greenpeace take action: http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/campaigns/oceans/threats.