“Our mission is protest, our weapons are bare breasts.” That’s the rallying cry of topless Ukranian feminist group Femen, which has staged countless protests against sexual and political repression. But a new documentary, debuted at the Venice Film Festival, reveals that the group’s founder and prime mover is a man.
The Independent reports on the film, titled “Ukraine is not a brothel,” which “outs” one Victor Svyatski (shown here) as the mastermind behind the radical group. The documentary’s director, 28-year-old Kitty Green, notes that Svyatski — who is listed on the Femen website as a “consultant” — is actually the movement’s “founder and éminence grise.”
It’s his movement and he hand-picked the girls. He hand-picked the prettiest girls because the prettiest girls sell more papers. The prettiest girls get on the front page... that became their image, that became the way they sold the brand.
Until now, the full extent of Svyatski’s relationship to the group and its nubile protesters has been a jealously guarded secret. The film, however, claims that it was Svyatski who sent Femen activists on one of their most terrifying missions. to Belarus where they were arrested by secret service agents, stripped (redundant?), humiliated, and abandoned in a forest close to the Ukranian border.
The documentary credits Svyatski with having keen organizational skills but questions his influence over the group, a realization that Green admits was slow to dawn on her. The Independent’s Geoffrey MacNab writes:
Only gradually did she become aware that Mr Svyatski was pulling the strings behind the scenes. ‘Once I was in the inner circle, you can’t not know him. He is Femen.’
‘It was a big moral thing for me because I realised how this organisation was run. He was quite horrible with the girls. He would scream at them and call them bitches.’
Initially, Svyatski resisted appearing on film but eventually demurred, telling the camera, “These girls are weak.”
They don’t have the strength of character. They don’t even have the desire to be strong. Instead, they show submissiveness, spinelessness, lack of punctuality, and many other factors which prevent them from becoming political activists. These are qualities which it was essential to teach them.
But they did have T & A, a detail not lost on Victor Svyatski, who admits starting Femen “to get girls. Perhaps yes, somewhere in my deep subconscious.”
Is that how the young people are describing their sexual urges these days?
- To prove importance of ‘right’ to public nudity, journalist removes top during interview
- Women in NYC go topless for the revolution (Photos)
- S.F. nudists stage another ‘body freedom protest parade’
- ‘Day of Nude’: FB users protest censorship with nude photos
- Bare-breasted activists parade through NYC for ‘Go-Topless Day’
- ‘Buxom bandit,’ who wore low-cut top during robberies, surrenders
- Upstate NY women arrested for strolling naked through store
- Second air traveler strips naked, this time in protest
- Love & Paint: One small step for sex; one smaller step for art
- Woman told to extinguish cigarette by airport security strips naked instead
- Nude maid service in Texas turning heads … including those of local police
- TSA asks female passenger to ‘prove’ breast pump is real
- The vagina monolith: Suggestive sculpture under wraps at Wasilla High School
- German newspaper ‘Bild’ to drop topless front-page photos
- TSA forces woman with ‘cute figure’ to pass though nude body scanner 3 times
- Woman driver claims her 38KKK breasts saved her life in crash
- Woman busted for DUI says big boobs made her fail sobriety test
- TSA settles with woman whose breasts were exposed by agent
- Artist who does public nude-body paintings reaches agreement with NYC