Next month sees the publication of a major new book on mergers and acquisitions. Successful Acquisitions—already climbing the Amazon charts in advance sales— by leading M&A expert David Braun, CEO of Capstone Strategic.
This will be a must read by all C-level and HR executives because it is a practical guide delivering everything an organization needs to know for a profitable acquisition, including must-read chapters on selecting prospects, approaching owners, valuation, negotiating the deal and integration.
Braun is focused on the “midmarket” of M&A (under $500 million) where 90% of deals get done. He has shepherded billions of dollars in transactions to successful completion in industries as diverse as canned tuna, printing, financial services, electric utilities and architecture.
Below are five of Braun's top tips for any company preparing for an acquisition:
1. Have ONE reason to buy a company, not half a dozen.
2. Pick your market before you pick your company.
3. Focus on not-for-sale companies.
4. Don’t approach companies by letter: pick up the phone.
5. Start your due diligence from day one.