Just in time for Valentine's Day, tripadvisor has listed the Top 10 Hotels for Romance in the World. This list was compiled by reader reviews on their website. Some are near, some are far, and all are fabulous.
1. Capella Ixtapa in Ixtapa, Mexico - 93% of readers gave it a favorable rating and comments such as, "If there's a better run hotel anywhere on earth I haven't been there", "paradise" and "truly relaxing and breathtaking". The Capella Ixtapa has 86 rooms, private plunge pools, spa, restaurants, tequila bar, and is set into a cliff that overlooks the Pacific Ocean. It was also rated as the #1 hotel in Ixtapa.
2. Tiara Yaktsa Cannes in Theoule sur Mer, France - A boutique hotel on the French Riviera with views of the sea and near Cannes and Saint-Tropez, romance is a given at Tiara Yaktsa. There are 21 rooms, swimming pool and tons of ambience. The hotel get a 96% positive rating and comments "perfect in every way", "This hotel was amazing- service, view, amenities- all superb!" and "Stunning".
3. Banyan Tree Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen, Mexico - The Banyan Tree is another hotel with 96% thumb's-up. It boasts pool villas and an award-winning spa. Comments included "A true 5 star Mexican resort with superb staff!", "Miraculous, private and amazing honeymoon spot" and "Moves to the top of my list of favorites".
4. Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun in Playa del Carmen, Mexico - 93% positive rating with 1,449 excellent reviews, 307 very good, 68 average, 36 poor and 19 terrible. Comments ranged from "Amazing...you will not be disappointed!!!" to "20th Anniversary..so Disapointing...”. Click Here to read Not Disappointed review and Click Here to read Disappointed review.
5. Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens in La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica - This hotel has 44 rooms and is located near the Arenal volcano. Click Here for Eruption photos. The reviews are 97% positive and include the following comments: "Wonderful experience, great value" and "the rooms and view were exquisite - looking out at the Arenal Volcano from your balcony with our own hot tub to relax in was exciting and romantic!".
6. Riad Noir d'Ivoire in Marrakech, Morocco - The Riad Noir d'Ivoire lists an incredible 99% thumb's-up rating, and contains five suites (three with private roof terraces and jacuzzis). Many of the reviews used the word "perfect". Others offered, "Luxury boutique riad which has all the comforts of a home-from-home with impeccable service and elegant style" and "A sanctuary away from the hustle & bustle, yet still in the heart of it all among the maze of winding, narrow, dusty, scruffy alleyways. What a "Shan-gri-la" awaited us once we had passed through its portal!".
7. Phulay Bay, a Ritz Carlton Reserve in Krabi Town, Thailand - Phulay Bay has 54 rooms and 89% positive rating on tripadvisor. Out of 38 reviews, 30 are excellent, and include: "You are supplied with your own butler (in our case we had Ing - who was attentive and helpful without being obtrusive). The villas are very well appointed. Our reserve villa had its own plunge pool and a bed 4m x 2m in size with amazing linen (probably Frette) two baths indoor and outdoor and day beds and other inclusions for lounging and relaxing."
8. Namale Resort in Savusavu, Fiji - The resort has 15 rooms and also 89% positive reviews. "You won't find a better place to spend your days than at the Namale resort. The spa was incredible, the snorkeling & scuba diving were phenomenal (black tip reef sharks, eels, hammer head sharks, turtles, baracuda, most amazing coral, simply incredible), the grounds are immaculate, great rain forrest golf course, all the excursions were a 10!!!"
9. Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa in Flic En Flac (off Mauritius) - Where is Flic En Flac? Click Here to see Map. As far as reviews, they are 86% positive. The resort has 66 rooms and one traveler noted, "From the moment we arrived we were looked after like royalty, but not in an 'over the top' way. Nothing is too much trouble here..if you are on the beach or by the gorgeous infinity pool, there are waiters ready to provide complimentary water, cold face towels, cold beers etc! they also bring around complimentary fruit platters and the most delicious fruit sorbets."
10. Hotel Salvia in Soller, Spain - The Salvia has 6 rooms, 91% positive reviews and comments such as, "not just a hotel, they are SO much more! The way they manage Hotel Salvia totally befits the wonderful environment; calm, relaxed, friendly and truely genuine" and "a fortune has been spent by the previous owner as a labour of love, and the result is a tranquil, unique property full of charm."
For more info: Always check tripadvisor reviews before booking a hotel.