The top selling game of 2012 is, no surprise, Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Congratulations to same ol same ol. This is the fourth year in a row that a Call of Duty title has topped the charts. 2012 was a 13.26 BILLION dollar industry for games in the United States. That’s down 22% from last years over 16 billion.
The top ten list for 2012 goes as follows:
1. Call of Duty: black Ops II (all consoles + PC)
2. Madden NFL 13 (Consoles + Vita)
3. Halo 4 (consoles)
4. Assasin’s Creed III (Consoles +PC)
5. Just Dance 4 (consoles)
6. NBA 2k13 (Consoles, PSP, PC)
7. Borderlands 2 (Consoles – Wii +PC)
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III (consoles + PC)
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Consoles, Vita, PC, 3DS)
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (Consoles, Vita, PSP)
I love how the year before’s Call of Duty is there too. In my opinion it is not so much that this FPS shooter game is all that great, but rather that is the game “my bros are playing”. I know some “bros” that ONLY play COD. Granted the people that I associate with more closely have broader horizons. Call of Duty is the kind of game you get peer pressured into playing, even if it means you have to go buy yourself a used Xbox.
This years (and by this years I mean 2012) Call of Duty installment is wrought with problems. But people still play for the exact reason I mentioned. I guess the popular vote isn’t always based on quality. Whatev.