Photo by: m_bartosch
With summer right around the corner it’s time to get our butts in gear…literally. Between our job, kids, and the endless list of errands we have to run sometimes heading to our local gym for a “butt blaster” class just isn’t an option.
Here are 10 butt sculpting exercises that you can do right from home:
1. Squats- Squats are one of the best exercises you can do for hips, butt, and thighs. To begin place your feet hip width apart making sure your toes are parallel. Keep your weight on your heels while you bend your knees, lowering until your legs make a 90 degree angle. Remember to tighten your core muscles by pulling your belly to your spine in order support your low back. For beginners start by doing this exercise with a chair behind you, and lightly touch your bottom to the chair with each squat. As balance and strength improve remove chair and add weights.
2. Lunges- If you want to work numerous leg muscles at once then lunges are for you! Hips, butt, inner thighs, hamstrings, and calves….Wow lunges do it all! To do a proper lunge you want to keep your weight evenly placed on the front and back leg ensuring sure your front knee doesn’t go past your toe. This will keep the pressure off the knees and ensure your muscles are doing the work.
3. Hip extension- Start on the ground on all fours. Bring one leg off the ground. Bring your knee into your chest and extend the leg straight behind you without touching the floor. Do this on both sides and feel the burn!
4. Dead Lifts- Dead lifts are great for your hamstrings, low back, and of course your butt! To perform a dead lift place your feet hip width apart and hold two weights in front of your thighs. Activate your core, and lower down with a flat back as far as your flexibility allows. As you straighten back up remember to squeeze your glutes!
5. Butt Ups- Butt ups are the classic butt firming exercise. Start by laying flat on your back with your knees bent and feet on the floor. Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips up bringing your body into a bridge position. Repeat this up and down motion of the hips, and you are on your way to a tighter rear end!
6. Pilates can-can- Get into the bridge position (same as above) and hold. While holding lift one leg off the ground making sure to line up your knees. Switch legs and continue to increase the time you hold on each side as your strength improves.
7. Floor leg lifts- Lying on your side with your feet stacked kick your top leg up and lower down slowly.
While the exercises listed above are excellent strength exercises keep in mind you can also use your cardiovascular training to tone your butt muscles as well.
8. Walking on an incline- Walking on an incline is an excellent way to burn calories and engage your glutes and thighs . You can burn about 50% more calories on a 30 minutes walk by just adding an incline because it demands more “work” from your legs.
9. Biking- Not only is biking a good source of cardiovascular exercise but it also targets the hips, thighs, and of course the butt. To target the butt exclusively stand up while in spin class or while pedaling up the hilly terrain of
10. Ice skaters- Jump side ways from one leg to the other and touch your opposite hand to the ground. Continue this swift motion for 1 minute to build muscle and burn calories.
To read more articles by Jenn click the "subscribe" button above.