I never make resolutions anymore. I think it's a fool's game to be honest. But every now and then I think about where my life is. What I have and haven't accomplished and what I still need to do to get where I need to be. And that's when I realize that I must make some changes and re-examine my life. So today I decided to share my thoughts on what I'm going to accomplish in 2013 in my business life. Check with me at the end of the year to see what I have and haven't accomplished(in no particular order mind you).
1. Re-evaluate my target audience. My focus has been so squarely focused on landing small and mid sized accounts that I haven't focused on closing larger accounts;which to be honest we all want because it pays better. It doesn't mean that I'm giving up my core audience but let's face it the trick to staying in business is to go after clients who hopefully can afford your services and see the value of what you do.
2. Land more teaching opportunities- I've come to recognize that I'm happiest when I'm teaching a room full of professionals how to do what I've been doing for the last 30 years.
3.Sell more books- With the success of the radio show(Small Business Forum Radio www.blogtalkradio.com/tonywilkins ) I have to admit that I'm not spending nearly enough time promoting any of my 3 books. However now that the show has found its own voice, I think it's time to focus on selling more books. Go to http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-economy-Practical-business-owners/dp/147... for my latest book titled, Surviving the economy.
4.Sell more movies- I have 3 movies that I wrote produced and directed however only one of them is listed on Amazon for sale and download (The Mo Diaries http://www.amazon.com/Diaries--mock-documentary-marriage-love/dp/B0030HT... ) .
5. Finish Letters from Lonesome Town- Earlier this year (March) I had the distinct pleasure of screening my film Lonesome Town at the famed Castro Theater here in San Francisco. It was one of the things on my wish list-film wise. The film was a 10 min short and very well received but I felt that there were more stories to tell. So this year I'm focused on finishing the feature length version. And speaking of which...
6.Sell a script.
7.Very limited cold calling assignments- After 30 years I feel it's time to hang up the phone (so to speak) and focus on other aspects of my business.
8.More radio advertisers to generate revenue- Again, this is more about focusing on what works (radio,training,movies,books). And limiting what isn't (cold calling).
9. Launch a TV career- I have several ideas in various stages of production but truthfully this is more on the side of what do I want to be doing in 10 years that will generate revenue and not bore me to tears.
10. Raise income by 20% . Not an unreasonable goal considering that I have so many outlets for making money.
So those are my business goals for the year. What are yours?