May 21, 2014
Planning a summer vacation? Why not make your destination the energy and excitement of a live music festival? Here are a few of North America's top summer music festivals 2014:
- Governors Ball, New York, New York, June 6-8, 2014: Combine a city break with this massive open-air party held at Randall's Island Park, just a subway or ferry ride from Manhattan. 2014 Governors Ball lineup 2014 includes Outkast, Jack White, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Janelle Monae and more. For a surreal experience, join the Silent Disco, an immersive music experience created by Sennheiser.
- Bonnaroo, Manchester, Tennessee, June 12-15, 2014: Spot celebrities on and off-stage at this music and arts happening held near the ranch of country music legend Loretta Lynn. Bonnaroo 2014 will include 80,000 positivity-radiating campers and headliners Elton John, Kanye West, Arctic Monkeys, Wiz Khalifa, more.
- Winnipeg Folk Festival, Winnipeg, Manitoba, July 9-13, 2014: Celebrating its 41st year, this beloved family-friendly music festival encourages attendees to go green by biking out to the festival site. Enjoy prairie sunsets and delicious vendor food along with the sounds of Bonnie Raitt, Joan Baez, The Sheepdogs, Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite, and other international and Canadian musicians.
- Pitchfork Music Festival, Chicago, Illinois, July 18-20, 2014: If you like new music, join 50,000 other enthusiasts in Chicago for this urbanfest of alternative rock, hip-hop, dance and electronica. Headliners for Pitchfork 2014 include Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Kendrick Lamar, St. Vincent, Grimes, Giorgio Moroder. Between sets, shop for rare vinyl at the CHIRP record fair; get there Friday to nab the best stuff.
- Lollapalooza, Chicago, Illinois, August 1-3, 2014: Lollapalooza is one of the biggest and most influential music festivals in the world, credited for popularizing bands like Muse, The Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, Coldplay, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Killers and Arcade Fire. Lollapalooza 2014 headliners include Eminem, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Skrillex, Outkast and Lorde.
- Reggae on the River, Humboldt County, California, July 31 to August 3, 2014: Fans of Reggae on the River are ecstatic the festival's 30th edition will be held at French's Camp, one of the most scenic outdoor concert venues on the planet. The remote location, on a bend of the South Eel River in northern California, means camping overnight is essential. Cool off in the river and mellow out to performances by Jimmy Cliff, Alpha Blondy & the Solar System, Gentleman & The Evolution, Iration and more. Shuttles help you get there and children are very welcome.
- Osheaga, Montreal, Quebec, August 1-3, 2014: No camping required for Canada's biggest music and arts festival, held in Parc Jean-Drapeau on an island in the Saint Lawrence River, easily accessible from downtown Montreal. Osheaga lineup 2014 includes Lorde, Outkast, Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Skrillex, more. Osheaga ends at 11 p.m. each night but Montreal nightlife and eateries are only a subway or bike ride away.