A top restaurant sickens 63 is topping world news headlines today, as CBS News reported this Friday, March 8, that 63 people were inflicted with the stomach flu after eating at a Michelin two-star restaurant, Noma, an eatery that has been mentioned among the world’s best restaurants in the renowned Restaurant magazine three times.
With the headline, “Top restaurant sickens 63 after eating at world’s top restaurant Noma”, sources report that Danish food safety officials have recently ordered Noma to “clean up” and provide better food safety protocol following people suffering from serious bouts of viral gastroenteritis this year.
The Veterinary and Food Administration reported this Friday that it had looked into the renowned restaurant in Copenhagen after many patrons had come forward, complaining they were feeling sick from dining in the restaurant this Feb. 2013. It is not yet clear what particular food or poor food procedure led to the infection.
A spokesman for the agency, Morten Lisby, said that the outbreak — which reportedly caused diarrhea and vomiting — should be taken as “massive” and looked into immediately.
The 63 people who were infected reportedly ate at Noma restaurant during the second week of Feb. between the 12 and 16. Noma restaurant manager Peter Kreiner has apologized for the sickness, adding that he and health officials are still looking into the food problem behind the widespread infection.
"Our business is based on having satisfied customers here and we're incredibly sorry on behalf of our guests," Kreiner told Danish TV2. He concluded that the restaurant had contacted the agency as soon as the complaints reached them.