The holidays are over and it's time for New Year resolutions. I'll bet the first one on many people's list is to 'lose weight' and 'get into shape!"
LOSE THE DIET, BECAUSE Diets DON’T Work! ‘Crowding Out” Does.
Change Your Food, Change Your Life!
The key to a successful nutritional plan is knowing what to eat and making a life change, NOT a ‘diet.’ The stigma connected to the word diet (sacrifice, deprivation and scarcity) is why diets don’t work!
Rather than adhere to a list of Restricted Foods, try ‘Crowding Out.’
Crowding out is a method where you gradually add foods to your diet rather than take away. If you add a healthy variety of tastes, you offer balance to your body, allowing it nutrient-dense that cause bad food to drop out.
- It’s unlikely you’ll switch from three slices of pizza at lunch to a salad in two days, but you can make major changes just by adding certain foods like greens, grains, fruit and water.
- If you like eating hamburger and fries, you don’t have to give them up. Just add a side salad or potatoes and squash over fries.
- Grab a sweet pear or crisp apple BEFORE you veggies to that meal and pretty soon you won’t be finishing those fries.Experiment with new tastes. Try brown rice over white; sweet reach for those chocolate chip cookies. Even if you still reach for those cookies afterwards, you won’t be eating as many!
- Add fruit to your diet and you will find yourself craving a cold, juicy orange over those cookies.
- Mix fresh fruit in yogurt or freeze a banana or red grape and eat them frozen.
Water is key. The human body is made up of mostly water. Drink a glass of water before you eat, and that will help your cravings and give you the water you need. Put a slice of lemon, orange or lime in your water if that seems more appealing.
If you drink soda or sports drinks, try substituting it with water or pure fruit juice. Read the labels, fruit juice is just that! If the first ingredient is sugar or corn syrup, or there are ingredients you can’t pronounce, chances are it isn’t a nutritious choice. You’d be surprised to find out that some fruit drinks don’t even have the fruit in it that it is flavored from.
For more information, check out Let’s Get FIT Nutrition. We offer nutritional information, healthy food choices, recipes and fitness tips to balance your life and foster optimal performance. Rather than just altering your food intake, we offer solutions through mind/body/spirit balancing.