It's an hour before gym time - and you're hungry. You want something to fuel your workout without weighing you down. So what's the snack-happy solution? We've got the dish with these four flavorful, fabulous treats below:
- Craving chips? Swap out our favorite healthy pretzels from Newman's Own Organics. Why we love them? "Pretzels were always Dad's favorite snack. That's why we started the company with them," confesses Paul Newman's daughter Nell. Go for traditional varieties with Newman's Own Thin Sticks, made with organic ingredients like organic rye flour and organic brown rice syrup. For something different, try Newman's Own Spelt Pretzels. And if you're trying to cut the carbohydrates, be prepared to fall in love with Newman's Own High Protein Pretzels, made with pea powder! What to drink? Go for 100 percent pure juice, such as Lakewood Organic Apple Juice.
- Power up with a protein shake, such as Pure Protein Vanilla whey protein powder. No time? Get a ready-made protein drink with Pure Protein Frosty Chocolate shakes.
- Top a slice of whole grain bread with a smear of almond butter. Our favorite combo: Mestemacher Fitness Bread with seven grams of fiber a serving topped with Crunchy Barney Almond Butter.
- When it comes to food as fuel, oatmeal deserves a gold star. Go for the real thing with Bob's Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Oats. Top it with Pacific Natural Foods Organic Chocolate Almond Milk for a snack that's ideal anytime of day.
- Bonus beverage tip: A new study shows that drinking coffee prior to your workout can reduce your perception of pain and exertion while helping you lift more weight, reported Men's Health recently. Make it fast with the Melitta Ready Set Joe Single Cup Coffee Brewer. Invest in a flavorful brew with Melitta Café de Europa Classique Supreme Ground Gourmet Coffee or MelittaCafé de Europa Hazelnut Crème Brulee. Like flavored chocolate coffees? Try Godiva Chocolate Truffle Coffee or Gevalia Dark Chocolate Truffle Ground Coffee.