Of all the shows that have been set in Florida or had episodes set there, this is one of the most enduring--great writing, wonderful acting, and a chemistry that is rare among television casts. Was it a perfect show? No. After all, does anyone really know how many kids they have for sure and what their ages are? Little details seemed to change here and there as it suited the writers' story for the week. Still, the chemistry between the cast was undeniable and they sold pretty much everything that was given to them. Here are some great Golden Girls moments...
5) Sophia gives Dorothy her earrings. They had so many combative moments in the series, but this was one of their sweet ones. Dorothy and Sophia have been fighting over whether or not Sophia should go to Italy with an old friend and decide to resolve the conflict at a bowling tournament. Dorothy ends up purposefully missing her final shot to let Sophia go. After Sophia returns from her trip, she gives Dorothy the earrings that were to be Dorothy's prize. Dorothy tries to give them back, but Sophia refuses, telling her daughter she knows the shot was missed on purpose.
4) Dorothy loses it in the hospital. When Blanche's daughter goes into labor, the Girls gather at the hospital to wait for word on the birth. They end up talking about Rose's new obsession with ice skating, which leads to Dorothy ranting about parents and how they drive you crazy. It's an epic speech that highlights the slightly disturbing relationship she and Sophia have.
3) Rose fights back. Blanche has accidentally given away Rose's favorite childhood toy to a girl scout who turns to blackmail when Blanche asks for it back. Rose walks in on them trying to get it back and tells the girls not to worry about it. She gives a nice speech to the little girl about how sometimes things are just meant to be and life isn't always fair before grabbing the bear from the kid's arms and pushing her out the door.
2) Mystery Weekend. This one is a classic for several moments. One is where Dorothy demonstrates how a right-handed person like her would use a knife to slit a throat using Sophia as the "victim". This leads to Sophia telling everyone there "this isn't part of the show folks!". Other winning moments in this episode include Rose's amazement at people knowing she's from St. Olaf and her using an angry Blanche's words against her after finding out Rose helped set her up.
1) Little Balls of Sunshine. This is arguably the Golden Girls moment. A sleep-deprived Blanche has come into the kitchen with the book she's been working on. She's convinced that it's going to be a hit but it's actually a confusing mess. She sees the egg yolks that Rose has bagged up because they're unhealthy and calls them "little balls of sunshine in a bag" while ranting about the greatness of her work, how she'll never sleep again and how she can't cut off her ear like Van Gough did because she wouldn't be able to wear earrings. (You'll find this awesome moment in the two-parter called "Sick and Tired". It opens the fifth season.)