Never wear a scruffy t-shirt, ragged jeans, and dirty sneakers. Never wear a suit that is too tight, too big, or too ratty; so avoid getting a suit at the Salvation Army or thrift stores. Always dress a step up from the typical attire you'd wear daily at the office. A step up usually means a suit, so find one that fits. Ladies, watch out for wide shoulder pads. Guys, solid shirt colors are a safe bet to match your jacket.
- Conservative colors / fabric
- Navy, dark gray (and black for women) — are safe.
- Other color trends may come and go; avoid the extremes.
- Solids or very subtle weave patterns or plaids (the type that look solid across a room) are safest.
- Always choose a two-pieced suit. The paired skirt for women and silk tie for men should match.
Towson's Top 5 Interview Suit Stores
- Men's Wearhouse
- JoS A. Bank
- Ann Taylor
- New York & Company
- The Limited