It’s now a couple days into the New Year, which means that we all survived the nonpocalypse and also there’s a slew of new laws that passed from state ballot measures in the last election. Mediaite on January 2, 2013 published some of the strangest new laws to come through our fair land:
- Strip Club Charity in Illinois: There is now a $3 “skin” tax that must be paid at the door to strip clubs. This new tax is to be paid to rape crisis centers across the state.
- Wild pigs to be domesticated in Kentucky: If you find a wild pig in the Blue Grass state, it can no longer be deemed “wild”. Seems that dogs and cats may soon have a new domesticated neighbor.
- Most expensive cooking oil, ever in North Carolina: It is no considered a felony to steal cooking oil in NC. The fine can be upwards of $10,000. Considered by many to be a blow to culinary thieves everywhere since the Great Donut Emancipation of 1912.
- Ghost Rider now legal in California: Driverless cars are now free to roam the highways and byways of the golden state. However, a human passenger must always accompany whatever robot or computer program behind the wheel.
- Five’s a crowd, not a pride in Kansas: In the town of Wellington, KS, households are limited to only four cats. Take that, homeless cats… yikes.
- Drastic plastic contraband in Massachusetts: Time to place those Dasani bottles in paper bags if you're in Concord, MA. In a big win for environmentalists, plastic bottles are now outlawed.
- Wheelie sad bikers in Illinois: If you have two wheels on your vehicle in Il, you must use both of them at all times. It is no illegal to pop wheelies. Unicycles are spared from any technical criminal penalties.
- Sharks in Illinois? Still no great white hope: In a giant win for all the sharks in the shores of Illinois, the sale and trade of Great White and Hammerhead fins is outlawed.