If you find yourself hungry in the University District look no further than the following list of delicious, and surprisingly cheap, restaurants.
1. Aladdin Gyro-Cery & Del: This place rocks from the gyros, to the people, to the décor. The gyros are filled with high quality meat and a variety of vegetables so fresh you have to wonder if they have their own garden.
The staff is friendly and will often remember your order if you become a regular. Recommendation: Spaniko combo, a blend of spinach and cheese similar to spanakopita, or the Lamb and Beef combo. A ‘combo’ consists of a gyro, fries and a soda, $7.50. Cash only.
2. Pho Than Brothers: Soup so good it should be fined. The vegetables are always crisp and the broth is always rich. They are also incredibly fast. As in, a to-go order will be ready within 60 seconds of being placed.
Fast, delicious, perfect. Recommendation: Whatever your heart desires. Each bowl is tailored to exactly what you want. A 'small,' which is not at all small, is $5.95 plus tax.
3. My Favorite Deli: The name speaks volumes. It is a great place to stop by for a quick breakfast or lunch. The first thing you will notice about My Favorite Deli is the warm smile and hearty laugh of the owner, Steve, who maintains his post at the restaurant every day. The sandwiches are homey and reminiscent of picnic lunches. Recommendation: Veggie sandwich or the California Club. Lunch will run you around $6.
4. Vista Café: The name, again, speaks volumes. Located in the William H. Foege Building at the University of Washington, the view from the deck of this restaurant is incredible, especially during the warmer months.
Watching boats idly float through Portage Bay and the Montlake Cut while dining on soups, sandwiches, and salads makes for a relaxing lunch. The food is just the delightful bonus. With vegan desserts, organic espresso, and natural sandwiches everyone will be happy. Recommendation: Caprese sandwich with a side salad, $7.95.
5. Café on the Ave: A favorite among university students, this café has a great atmosphere with tons of table room to study. Soft music plays in the background while you choose between coffee, mocha, cocoa, tea, iced coffee, soda, Italian soda, lemonade, and smoothies. And that’s just the drinks, food choices are even more difficult with sandwiches, pasta, soup, burgers, rice dishes, and salads.
All fresh, all delicious, and all interesting. Recommendation: Roasted veggie sandwich and strawberry lemonade, $12 total. Most lunches will cost approximately $9.