If you are looking for authentic Mexican foods, here is the place to be! Mercado Central can be directly translated into Central Market in English. Located in the heart of Minneapolis, this market is a gathering and community place for the Minneapolis Latino community here.
A walk into this lively market will bring you to a mini adventure of Mexico. The food section greets customers at the front door and further exploration will lead you to the little grocery stores and meat section. All the foods here are served by Mexicans and most of the food names are in Spanish. Most people at this market speak Spanish and English, so vendors or customers are always more than happy to help you with the items.
Enrique*, a Mexican American who has lived here for 20 years said that he visits this place every weekend with his family. Although he lives one hour away from Mercado Central, this father of two still comes here faithfully for the good food and atmosphere. He also added that it makes him feel home.
This great market is definitely worth a visit, possibly with an empty stomach! Here are some of the things to look out for.
1. Bakery products- Find freshly baked empanadas with different fillings such as pineapple, caramel and guava. Also, conchas ( a sweet topped bun) , churros (fried dough sprinkled with sugar) and polvorones (three color Mexican cookies) are some of the popular bakery goods to try too.
2. Hot foods- It is really difficult to make a decision here at this section because there are so many delicious things to eat! Foods recommended by locals include gorditas, sope, tacos, picaditas and sopa (soup).
3. Drinks- Customers here definitely love Jarritos (a Mexican soda product) and any ice blended fruit juice. Worth to try!
4. Snacks- The stores here have everything from spicy candies to dulche de leche products. The peanut candy Mazapan and japones (Japanese-style peanuts) are some products that can cater your sweet cravings for the day.
5. Meat - This section offers chorizos, Mexican meat products and freshly made fried pork skin.
Mercado Central is located at 1515 E Lake St, Minneapolis, MN 55407.
*not the real name for privacy purposes