Spring is on it's way, or so the groundhog said...though the upcoming storm may put a damper on that quest. Here are some drinks to get you in the spring spirit, and will the warm weather our way.
- Embrace Florals: I love me some florals, and on a recent trip to Boston I remembered why. I tried the Cucumber Blossom martini at Stella and was inspired to keep it in my "waiting for spring" rotation. 1 part cucumber vodka, 1 part St. Germain, lime juice, and a cucumber garnish - shaken, and poured into a chilled martini glass. Delicious and very Spring!
- Lighten up: If you are stuck in a rut of Cabernet Sauvignon, it can remind you of Winter. Try a lighter red wine like Pinot Noir, or transition back to whites, like an un-oaked Chardonnay with dinner.
- Drink like you are on vacation: Who says you can't have a Corona with lime anytime. Or better yet, a Margarita with a nice salt rim. I love the Dos Caminos Passion Fruit Margarita during any season.
- Spring for something different: Spring is about new beginnings, so pick up a wine you have never tried before, like a Grecante from Italy or a Bukettraube from South Africa.
- Think Pink - The Languedoc-Roussillon region of Southern France boasts some great pink wines, like Grenache Blanc. Ask your wine seller about some good options to try. I usually don't go for pink wines, but these boast a more interesting depth of flavor and are great for dinner or a picnic (hopefully outside soon).
Get out of your Winter rut with these tips, and think Spring!