It was the media build up of the year. The fear and panic that Carmageddon would cripple the city of Los Angeles. You were either instructed to leave town or leave your car in garage with the shutdown of the 405 freeway from Friday night July 15th through Monday morning July 18th as the overpass bridge at Mulholland was being demolished.
Carmageddon tee shirts, mobile apps, and even viral videos were created in anticipation of the weekend that would cripple those who were used to driving in Los Angeles.
Just because Carmageddon might wreak havoc on your to do list this weekend, doesn't mean you need to cancel your dates. Here are 5 date ideas to consider this weekend, while leaving the car out of the equation.
- Water taxi date to a free concert. Saturday night marks off the kick-off of the summer in the park free concert series in Marina del Rey. If you live in the area, walk to a water taxi stop and for $1 you can go to 7 locations throughout the Marina and end up at Burton Chase Park where Oleta Adams will be performing. You might enjoy it so much, that you'll come back again for Tito Puente, Aimee Mann, and Frankie Avalon later in the season when they say it's safe to drive again.
- In-room dining. Nothing beats a romantic night for the two of you, so grab some candles, order your meal to be delivered from LA Bite, watch a DVD and make your own home like a hotel room, without the hefty tab.
- Metro art tour. You may have seen the train stops for the metro in Los Angeles, but perhaps you never took the time to buy a ticket and explore. There's incredible art at a variety of train stations. From Union Station to Hollywood and Highland, get adventurous and enjoy the ride and the culture as well.
- Beach walk and bead pudding. Sure it sounds cliché to say I love beach walks on an online dating profile, but this weekend you have permission to suggest it, while leaving the car behind. Stop to watch the activity on Venice Beach and visit Shulzies Bread Pudding where they have over 100 varieties of flavors to nibble on with your date.
- Fly from Burbank to Long Beach. If you were one of the lucky ones to grab a $4 airline ticket on Jet Blue from Burbank to Los Angeles, you'll be part of history-in-the making and will have a date that won't break the bank.
If none of these events fit in with your present location, remember to put air in your tires and enjoy biking without the worry of the traffic getting in your way.
What are your plans for Carmageddon weekend?
Julie Spira is an online dating expert and author of the bestseller, The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Follow Julie on twitter @JulieSpira and like her at facebook.com/CyberDatingExpert