So, you're heading off to college within the next couple weeks. Surely you've put great thought into bringing everything that you'll be needing to help you learn as well as adjust to college life. For some of you, this may be the first time you've left home for any length of time since you went to summer camp at age 12. In addition to the usual must-take items that you'll need to actually help you learn; books, pens, computer, calculator, etc., don't forget that this is the period of your life where more than likely you'll be experiencing the most fun in your entire life, so make the most of it. Rock out every once in a while.
Here's a list in no particular order of the top rock albums that are must-haves for you to bring alongside those large, outrageously expensive bonded stacks of paper that they call books:
1. Lux - Gemini Syndrome: This Los Angeles-based band take rock to a new dimension with their debut full-length album. This album flat out rocks! The guitars are heavy. The vocals are heavy. The drums are hard and fast. But it is not overbearingly harsh. A perfect album for Saturday night keggers. Gemini Syndrome will be on your favorites list for years to come!
2. True Love Never Dies - Otherwise: These boys who hail from Sin City have been touring non-stop all year promoting their debut album, True Love Never Dies. If you happened to be studying abroad this summer, you really missed out on some great shows! Brothers Adrian (vocals) and Ryan (guitar) Patrick and crew will have you fist pumping so much as you’re singing along, it should qualify for physical education credits.
3. Onyx - Pop Evil: This Minnesota-based band has emerged this year as one of the front-runners in today’s rock with their third studio album, Onyx. Their first #1 single on the Active Rock list, “Trenches”, is only the beginning of the successes for this band. They’ve just released their next single, “Deal With the Devil”, which is surely to follow the footsteps of its predecessor. Look for them on tour with Papa Roach this semester for one great rock show!
4. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here - Alice In Chains: For those of you who like to think you’re old-school, the latest from Alice In Chains will impress those post-graduate hotties so much, they’ll think you’re way more mature than the rest of your freshman buddies.
5. The Sun Comes Out Tonight - Filter: Frontman, Richard Patrick has never been happier in his career and it shows in Filter’s latest offering. There’s something for everyone here, just like your favorite pizza joint.
6. Goliath - Butcher Babies: New to the heavy metal grunge scene, Butcher Babies has not one, but two hotties decked-out in tight leather up front belting out incredible songs. Do you need any other reason?
7. Hail to the King - Avenged Sevenfold: Do you find yourself nodding off to sleep as you’re cramming all night for an exam? Not to worry, crank up the latest offering from the boys of Hunting beach, Calif. You may not learn a lot, but you will definitely not fall asleep. These boys can rock!
8. The Wrong Side Of Heaven And The Righteous Side Of Hell Volume 1 - Five Finger Death Punch: No football coach can get their team pumped-up enough to handle their rival school more than a locker room full of some Five Finger Death punch. Play this before every game and look for your team to go undefeated this year!
9. Outlaw Gentleman and Shady Ladies - Volbeat: This Danish metal band crosses more genres than most from rockabilly/country to all out hardcore metal. In fact, this is their heaviest album to date. Look for them headlining the Rock Allegiance Tour this fall in a city near you.
10. House of Gold and Bones Parts 1&2 - Stone Sour: Forget English literature, Corey Taylor’s got you covered with an incredible sci-fi story that will actually be interesting to ponder, unlike those boring old literature novels. While you’re purchasing the album, don’t forget to pick-up a copy of the comic book too. Look, pictures; what a concept!
This is just a start to get you through until at least Thanksgiving break, hopefully. If you can think of any others which may be of help, feel free to list them in the comments section. Consider it your first homework assignment.