If your dog or cat just ate something poisonous, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately. The sooner a dog poisoning or cat poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is to treat your pet.
Did you know that many common items found around your house may be potentially dangerous for your dogs? Prevention is the key to keeping your dog safe.
- Only use products designed for your pets, use them wisely
- Keep all pet and people medications, vitamins, and similar out of reach
- Wash de-icers and salt off your dog's feet, and use a product like Paw Safe around your house
- Use an alternative to rodenticides (rat poison) and remember rodents killed by those products can be harmful to your pets
- Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) tastes sweet and can be quite toxic to some pets
- Be careful about your plant selections, Cornell has a great list of common plant names for you to reference
- Dogs eat lots of yucky things, check out this list of potential hazards
- Lawn and garden chemicals -- ideally you'll find safer alternatives, but if you like the commercial products, be sure they are used correctly and remember your dog's face is right by the poison and fertilizers
- Keep your trash covered and contained, dogs have a hard time resisting trash containers
Thanks for stopping and be sure to share your safety tips and tricks.