Happy New Year 2013 - time to reflect on the best indie performances of 2012.
10. Rockdrive 2012 (December 2 – Hotel Café) – Not only did Max Lugavere, GreenRoots Presents and the Hotel Café sell out the venue for this fundraiser for the American Red Cross’ efforts to help victims of Hurricane Sandy, but they did so in a remarkable way. This show was musically sound from start to finish and included Jesse Thomas, Angel Taylor, The Young Romans, Justin Hopkins, Madi Diaz, Meiko, David Ryan Harris, Clara C, Joe Purdy, TJ Gibson, Cary Brothers and Harper Blynn. Check out the reviews here and here.
9. Aaron Hendra Project (September 25 – Hotel Café) – Jen Lyneis of Ue3 Promotions took me to this show, and I was immediately struck by this artist – his talent, his songwriting ability, and his ability to mesmerize the audience. I look forward to more in 2013.
8. The Young Romans (December 12 – Hotel Café) – I first heard TYR at the Rockdrive benefit and was completely overwhelmed by their talent. In addition, they have such a humble spirit that they draw their audience into a feeling of intimacy. Watch for these guys to burst forth in 2013.
7. Cindy Alexander (March 17 – Zoey’s) – Local Los Feliz resident Alexander took her band to Ventura to celebrate the release of her newest CD Every Rise and Fall. The night was full of memories as she not only showed us her new material but also reminded us why we love her music with a collection of her many great songs, performed by current and past members of her band.
6. Kari Kimmel (June 8 – Hotel Café) – I’ve known Kari for many years, going back to my days with the Don’t Call us Tori female songwriter series. Kari’s music has matured over the years and she is now one of the “go-to” performers for placeable songs. You’ll hear a lot more of this artist in 2013.