Have you ever wondered how famous people beget famous offspring? How the child of an actor, musician, comedian, artist, etc. can reach stardom so seemingly effortlessly? The question of nature vs nurture, or heredity vs environment, is an ongoing debate in determining or causing individual physical and behavioral differences and predispositions.
Take, for example, Drew Barrymore. She is an undeniably talented actress, film director, screenwriter, producer, and model. With so many talented people trying to break through the diamond Hollywood ceiling, would the granddaughter of iconic actor John Barrymore have achieved notoriety without the Barrymore name? Probably. September 26 2012, Drew became a mother to Olive. Drew is an example of both inherited genes and opportunity. Lucky girl – as are so many celebrities.
It’s early 2013 and with only Kris Jenner expecting a new 2013 grandchild, so far, (from daughter Kim Kardashian and Kanye West) it’s going to be a great year for celebrity grandparents. Actor John Aniston (best known for his role as Victor Kiriakis on the NBC daytime drama Days of Our Lives) isn’t saying a word about his daughter Jennifer’s alleged baby bump.
Still sexy, still talented, still vibrant, still on the big screen and Broadway, still recording and performing at concerts, still making an international name for themselves, still attracting admirers of all ages, these celebrities are still going strong – and better than ever. And now, as they approach middle age, these cause-celebre stars are embracing their all-time best starring roles as grandparents.
Since we first published and brought to national attention the hottest grandparents, back in June of 2009, lots of celebrities have joined the ranks of grandparents. Our list then included:
1. Marian Robinson, mother of Michelle Obama and official Whitehouse grandmother.
2. Sir Paul McCartney, Beatle extraordinaire.
3. Sir Thomas Sean Connery – original 007 Agent, James Bond voted 1999’s “Sexiest Man of the Century.”
4. Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger – lead Stone rocker, father of seven and grandfather of four.
5. Blythe Danner –mother of Oscar-winning Gwyneth Paltrow and proud grandmother two. She is called “Lalo” or “wanted wolf” by her grandchildren.
6. Joan Rivers – Cooper’s grandmother, who calls her either “Grammy” or “Nana New Face”.
7. Ron Howard –Mayberry’s beloved Opie is a grandfather.
8. Goldie Hawn – Laugh In’s “sock it to me” girl is still sexy after all these years and grandmother of four. Her grandma name is “Glamma” by her son’s kids and “Gogo” by her daughter’s.
9. Billie Crystal –Grandfather of two, Crystal says of being a grandparent that it is is “one of life's last great surprises."
10. Dustin Hoffman –father of six children and blessed two grandchildren so far.
To that remarkable list, here are the best of the next Top 10 hottest celebrity grandparents:
1. Keifer Sutherland, son of actor Donald Sutherland, has two grandchildren via his two step-children.
2. Priscilla Presley, once married to The King, Elvis, makes her Hollywood royalty, and their daughter, Lisa Marie, has blessed this royal grandmother with twins and 2 more beautiful princes and princesses.
3. Sally Field is once, twice, three times a grandmother, and a beautiful, accomplished one at that.
4. Martha Stewart, mother of Alexis, this mogul grandmother is called “Martha” by her grandchild.
5. Jim Carey whose musician father gave him a taste of the dream, announced the birth of his granddaughter via Twitter.
6. Kris Jenner, already a grandmother, is expecting another via her famous daughter Kim Kardashian and her beau, Conyay West.
7. Lionel Richie, singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer became a grandfather, or “G-pa”, when daughter Nicole Richie welcomed their first child and he is now a grandfather of two and goes by the name Popi or Papa. You may remember him from his Motown days as a member of the Commodores.
9. Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader, is mother of five and has eight grandchildren! Woo-hoo! You go girl!
10. Sir Michale Philip “Mick” Jagger, singer, songwriter, and actor is the living definition “a rolling stone gathers no moss”; Jagger is father of seven and grandfather of four.
It’s all about the legacy we leave behind – the greatest of which is our grandchildren.
If you like this, you may also like:
To receive Ellen Jacob’s articles in your in-box, click SUBSCRIBE. It’s FREE and your email will never be shared with anyone.
Share your funny, cute, awwww! grand-giggles by emailing me at: email@example.com type GRANDGIGGLES in the Subject Line.