This year saw the consistent quality output from veterans Five Finger Death Punch, Alice In Chains and Avenged Sevenfold. We were also treated to some great new talent in the likes of Pop Evil, Gemini Syndrome and Butcher Babies just to name a few. Most importantly, we were reminded of rock history and to never forget the classics thanks to David Draiman and Lzzy Hale.
1. “Lift Me Up” - Five Finger Death Punch featuring Rob Halford: The inclusion of Rob Halford in this teeth-grinder surely puts this on the top of any rock fan’s list.
2. “Hail to the King” - Avenged Sevenfold: The introductory guitar riffs reminiscent of “Thunderstruck” makes any rock fan pull off their best air guitar, whether they want to or not. Add in some thunderous drums and bass and horns are flying high.
3. “Close My Eyes Forever” - Device featuring Lzzy Hale: A classic rendition from two of the classiest people in rock today. Thanks for reminding us of rock history.
4. “Trenches” - Pop Evil: This band’s second #1 Active Rock single for 2013 proves that Pop Evil is a force to be reckoned with. Frontman Leigh Kakaty’s voice is unlike any other. This band is just a blast to listen to and even more of a blast to see live. Drummer, Chachi Riot lives up to his name; the boy is an animal behind his kit!
5. “Hollow” - Alice In Chains: An instant favorite to any AIC fan with their signature sound. Jerry Cantrell’s guitar is unmistaken.
6. “The Hangman’s Body Count” - Volbeat: This is such a feel-good song that is such a blast to listen to over and over.
7. “Pleasure and Pain” - Gemini Syndrome: These newcomers fresh from Los Angeles are making their mark in the metal scene and for good reason. Powerful lyrics, heavy guitars and one of the best bassist out there today.
8. “Born To Rise” - Redlight King: Kaz and Jules are at the top of their game with their latest album, Irons in the Fire. They stay true to themselves with their originality and personalities. Truly one of the most personable bands around.
9. “Magnolia Blvd.” - Butcher Babies: This song will totally knock your socks off with its pure adrenaline. It relentlessly keeps coming at you showing no mercy. What a blast to listen to!
It’s not an easy task to compile a list of the top 10 hard rock/metal songs for 2013 or any year for that matter. In the literally thousands of songs that were put out, narrowing the list down to 10 proved to be extremely difficult. Those who didn't make the list were not forgotten about or not worthy, there's simply not enough slots to mention every band. The intent is to make the list dynamic and well-rounded.