As the snow began to fall yesterday (in New England), I assumed that it would be a quick dusting and today the grass would still be green. Boy was I wrong. With the couple of hours of rain before the snow, as it got colder and colder the snow started sticking to everything. Today, the snow is still here and looks like it will stick around for a while. Strangely enough, as part of the 25 days of Christmas, the move "White Christmas" was playing during the snowfall.
It's sure starting to feel like Christmas - whether you are shopping on line or heading to the stores, here are some ideas for your favorite beer lover (we all know someone that's a beer lover, don't we!!). In case you missed part 1 and 2, please check out the previous suggestions. Part 1 Part 2
10 ) BREW-OPOLY
9 ) Beer of the Month Club
8 ) Beer Magazine Subscription: (Beer Advocate Magazine, Draft Magazine, Ale Street News, Yankee Brew New, All About Beer Magazine, and Beer Connoisseur Magazine) 7) Beer Movies (Beer Wars, Brewed in America, Brewfest)
6) Kegerator (http://www.kegerators.com/)
5) Homebrew Kit (http://www.beer-wine.com, http://www.northernbrewer.com)
4) Gift Certificate to a Local Beer Bar Lets get to the top 3 suggestion for the beer lover:
3) Beer Stuff (Glasses, shirts, and more)
For the past few years, I have enjoyed shopping for gifts on brewery websites. There are many different breweries out there and sometimes it can be overwhelming. Here are some sites that I have purchased from:
Bear Republic - http://www.bearrepublic.com/ They offer many cool things on their store - including a create your own gift basket, rugs and other cool stuff.
Redhook - ttp://shop.redhook.com/ All sorts of cool stuff, including Neon Lights, Toboggan and other gear.
Alaskan Brewing Company - https://www.alaskanbeer.com/ I enjoy visiting the Alaskan Brewing Store to check out the tap handles (like the Summer Ale Orca Taphandle) along with searching through all of the sale items. They have some pretty neat stuff on sale at the moment.
Here is some cool glassware that your beer lover would enjoy:
New Belgium Globe Glass - from New Belgium in Colorado: (features)
- A narrow opening that benefits foam and enhances the beer's bouquet.
- A globe shape that captures and directs the beer's aromas toward your nose.
- New etchings inside create a continuous stream of bubbles to release and refresh flavors.
- A stem that keeps your hand from warming the beer and allows unobstructed viewing pleasure.
- Decidedly thicker, our new glass is more durable from the beaded lip down to the reinforced stem.
Cost: Special $4.99 price for the 2009 holiday season! Offer good until December 31 only.
To purchase glassware, visit http://www.newbelgium.com.
Spiegelau Beer Classics - Glassware Six-Pack
When you want to drink out of the Mercedes of beer glasses Spiegelau Beer Classics are it.
The Mixed Six-Pack includes:
- Two 23.5oz Wheat Beer Glasses
- Two 17oz Wide Pints
- Two 15oz Stemmed Tulip Glasses
These features a thin, laser-cut and polished rim for the ultimate drinking pleasure. Made of lead-free crystal produced in Germany.
Where to purchase: http://beeradvocate.com/
Samuel Adams Boston Lager Glass (set of 4 glasses)
"Designed with the help of sensory experts, the pint glass provides optimum full-flavored taste of Sam Adams (or any other brew) thanks to some unique features — a bead inside the rim creates turbulence to release flavor and aromas; a lip on the glass places the beer on the front of the tongue where sweetness is tasted; a laser etching on the bottom creates bubbles for constant aroma release; thinner walls and round shape maintain proper beer temperature longer; and a narrow grip reduces exposure from the heat of your hand."
"We wanted to create a glass that offers beer lovers a full sensory drinking experience by fully showcasing Samuel Adams Boston Lager's complex balance of malt and hop flavors. This glass achieves that mission." -Jim Koch. Set contains 4 glasses (beer not included!).
Cost: $30.00 for the 4-pack.
Where to Purchase: http://www.samueladams.com
2) Beer Event or Beer trip - Here are some ideas:
*** Woodstock Inn Brewing Experience: ***
Join the Woodstock Inn Brewery for an instructive, hands-on weekend learning and perfecting the craft of brewing fine quality beers. Assist our expert brewers and receive first-hand instruction on the time-honored art of creating handcrafted ales with our seven-barrel brewing system. For guests with other interests, the beautiful White Mountains region features plenty of outdoor recreation and the very best of tax-free shopping options.
- 2 nights lodging
- Breakfast each morning
- Friday night Brewers reception, 9pm
- Lunch on Saturday
- Brewers dinner on Saturday evening
- A commemorative brewery T-shirt or hat
This is a hands-on or a sit and watch weekend. Your choice! All rates per person, based on double occupancy. View the Woodstock Inn website for more information on the accommodations.
Where to purchase: http://www.woodstockinnbrewery.com/
*** Beer Advocate Extreme Beer Festival: ***
The original fest that helped define what "Extreme Beer" is all about. Expect a uniquely awesome and epic celebration of American brewers who push the boundaries of creative brewing. Quite possibly the best fest on planet Earth w/ 100+ Extreme Beers. Limited to 1,000 tickets per session. Secure your attendance. Order your advance tickets now. Includes:
- Entrance into one of best fests on Planet Earth.
- All 2oz pours; Respect Beer.
- Tasting cup.
- Fest guide.
- Beer education.
When: February 19th and 20th - 2009 Cost: $45.00 to $50.00 per session.
Where to purchase: http://beeradvocate.com/store/
*** Dogfish Head 360 Degree Experience: ***
Treat All Your Senses ... The Dogfish Head 360° Experience! We've partnered with the Inn At Canal Square and Quest Fitness/Kayak for an experience that will invigorate all your senses...
- You will SEE coastal Delaware's true beauty while boating it's scenic waterways.
- You will HEAR live, original music from rising artists.
- You will FEEL the deluxe comfort and charm of a premier, waterfront inn.
- You will SMELL the aroma of fresh hops and barley and learn about the art of brewing while touring Dogfish Head's Milton brewery.
- And finally, you will TASTE the purity and distinction of Dogfish Head ales coupled with wood-fired cuisine in a relaxed, fun atmosphere.
Cost: Depends on the time of year - please contact The Inn At Canal Square online or at 302-644-3377 to inquire about availability and rates.
Where to Purchase: http://www.dogfish.com/
1) The final and ultimate gift to get for a beer lover: BEER!!!!
I'm sure that it's not a surprise. Pick up a selection of beer in a mixed pack, pick up some extreme beers or some tasty seasonals - it's your choice!! That's why we love craft beer. There are so many great choices and made just for US!!! Eat, Drink and be Merry. Merry Christmas and have a relaxing holiday,
Saranac 12 Beers of Winter
Harpoon Wintry Mix
Stone Vertical Epic
Sam Adams Imperial Series
Gritty McDuff's Christmas Ale
Widmer Brothers Brrrr
Other Honorable mentions that did not make the top 10 list:
Beer Brewing on premise @Incredibrew (http://www.incredibrew.com), Custom Barstools http://www.allbarstools.com, American Homebrewers Association (AHA) membership http://www.beertown.org/, Bacon flavored popcorn http://www.jdfoods.net/ourstory.php .
(Thanks for hanging on and reading parts 1-2-3.)
Drink Craft Beer, You’ve Earned It!!!