PSCC exercise science student Evan Smith (D.Wood Photo)
What does the future hold for the world of fitness? The American College of Sports Medicine released the results of its annual fitness trends survey, which included over 1,500 fitness professionals worldwide. According to the survey, the top 10 predicted fitness trends for 2010 are:
1. The need for educated and experienced professionals holding certifications from recognized agencies.
2. Strength training for men and women at all levels of physical activity.
3. The need to reverse the alarming trend of obesity in children.
4. Personal training credentials for health and fitness professionals staffing fitness facilities.
5. Core training emphasizing the middle-body muscles that support the spine.
6. Special fitness programs that are appropriate for older adults.
7. Functional fitness using strength training to improve balance and ease of daily living.
8. Sport-specific training in local fitness facilities for high school athletes to stay in shape in the off-season.
9. Pilates for strengthening the core and improving flexibility and posture.
10. Group personal training during difficult economic times.
For more information, check out the details of the ACSM Survey.