A recent report from the Research and Analysis division of Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment (FADE), a market research and consulting firm focused on electronic entertainment, revealed that Microsoft's Xbox LIVE Arcade had their best year ever after generating over $290 million in revenue. This is apparently double last year's XBLA revenue. Minecraft was the best-selling XBLA game in 2012 by a landslide with almost five million copies sold and nearly $100 million in gross revenue alone.
"Minecraft has been beyond impressive," said Benjamin Schlichter, Director of Research and Analysis at FADE, in an official press release. "Not only is it the top-grossing title in XBLA history, it achieved the feat in approximately three weeks."
According to the report, the top ten XBLA titles of 2012 in terms of gross revenue are:
- Minecraft (4J Studios) - 4,997,000 Units / $97,388,000
- Trials Evolution (RedLynx, LTD) - 1,002,000 Units / $14,298,000
- The Walking Dead (TellTale Games) - 2,615,000 Units / $10,277,000
- Counterstrike: GO (Valve) - 273,000 Units / $3,973,000
- Castle Crashers (The Behemoth) - 252,000 Units / $3,778,000
- Gotham City Impostors (Monolith Productions) - 258,000 / $3,698,000
- I Am Alive (Ubisoft) - 245,000 Units / $3,609,000
- Tony Hawk's PS HD (Robomodo) - 226,000 Units / $3,261,000
- Alan Wake's American Nightmare (Remedy Entertainment) - 206,000 Units / $2,903,000
- Trials HD (RedLynx, LTD) - 203,000 / $2,799,000