Forget the New Years resolution - they never stick anyway. Instead, this year, simply promise to yourself to get up off the couch and try some new activities. Being active helps burn calories, release excess fat, and improve heart health.Grab a friend or pack the kids, and have fun!
Here are my top 10 favorite activities to do in the Sacramento area, even during the cold months:
1) Batting Cages - Bat your heart out at MVP Sports Unlimited, with 6 indoor batting cages and 3,500 square foot turf field. Price: $15 for 15 minutes, $25 for 25 minutes, or $45 for 60 minutes. Location: 6085 Greenback Lane, Citrus Heights, CA 95621. Phone: 916-560-3393. Website: www.mvpsportsunlimited.com
2) Dancing - Sacramento has plenty of dance clubs to choose from, regardless of what type of music moves you. Dancing is good for the mind as well as the body. Don't know where to dance? Check out your local phone book or Google-it!
3) Go Karts - For the most fun you'll ever have driving, head over to K1 Speed and jump into a full size electric go kart. Price: $20 for either 14-lap adult race or 12-lap junior race. Location: 3130 Bradshaw Rd., Sacramento, CA 95827. Phone: 916-368-7223. Website: www.k1speed.com
4) Ice Skating - Tighten up those laces. After a devistating fire destroyed Iceland Skating Rink, this awesome facility recently reopened. Price: just $5! Location: 1430 Del Paso Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95815. Phone: 916-925-3121. Website: www.skatesacramento.com
5) Laser Tag - Grab the entire family for a fun and exiting adventure at Laser X. Each game is about 15-20minutes long. Price: $9 on the weekend or just $6.50 on weekdays. Location: Country Club Lanes (upstairs), 2600 Watt Ave., Sacramento, CA 95821. Phone: 916-971-4040. Website: www.countryclubeventscenter.com/Lazerx
6) Miniature Golf - Monster Mini Golf is 18-holes of glow-in-the-dark monster themed golfing fun. Even the older folks love it. Price: $7 for the youth and $8 for adults. Location: 12401 Folsom Blvd., Rancho Cordova, CA 95742. Phone: 916-294-0000. Website: www.monsterminigolf.com
7) Rock Climbing - Strap on your courage and step outside of your comfort zone as you challenge the 40 foot walls at Pipe Works. Price: $12 for a day pass. Location: 116 N. 16th St., Sacramento, CA 95814. Phone: 916-341-0100. Website: www.touchstoneclimbing.com
8) Rollerskating - Remember when you used to rollerskate as a kid? Well, strap on those hot pink wheels at Sunrise Rollerland. Price: $6-$7 (depeding on time of day). Location: 6001 Sunrise Vista Dr., Citrus Heights, CA 95610. Phone: 916-961-3333. Website: www.sunriserollerland.com
9) Skateboarding - For a different type of ride, try skateboarding! Epic Indoor Skatepark has a sweet setup. Price: only $12 for a 2-hour session. Location: 1104 Tinker Rd., Rocklin, CA 95765. Phone: 916-408-4200. Website: www.epicindoorskate.com
10) Fitness Classes - And, of course, there are a huge variety of fitness classes available: yoga / pilates, kickboxing, bootcamp, belly dancing, spin, aqua aerobics, and so much more. Take a class on something you've been meaning to try;why wait - this is the year!
No matter what activity you choose, the important thing is to have fun! So, step outside the box (or off the couch), get active, and have your healthiest year ever.
Wanda Nichols, ACE