You've had a long busy day, and you would like to make a tasty main course without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Short on time doesn't have to mean low in flavor. If you're in a pinch, try this fast and tasty Vegetarian Japanese chicken recipe, which can be served up in 30 minutes or less.
You will be cooking with fresh ginger root, which will add a tangy freshness, light spiciness, and mellow sweetness to your dish. Cuisine seasoned with ginger is simply irresistible, and always makes a grand appearance in dishes. Plus, this root of the ginger plant has therapeutic properties, such as soothing the stomach, and as a remedy for inflammation due to gingers natural anti-inflammatory effects. Herbalists have been using ginger for thousands of years to relieve stomach troubles.
This history of ginger goes back over 5000 years when it was considered a tonic root for all ailments in China and India. The root, called Zingiber officinale, is indigenous to China, from where it spread to the Spice Islands and other parts of Asia. Eventually, ginger was imported to West Africa and the Caribbean. The Roman empire traded for ginger, and it was valued more for its medicinal properties than as an ingredient in cooking. Today, India is now the main producer and exporter of ginger.
You will be able to find all of your ingredients in your grocery story or health food store. Look for the frozen chicken meat substitute in the vegetarian frozen foods section. Quorn vegetarian chicken meat substitute is a good brand to use. The ginger root will be located with the fresh vegetables and fruits. You will also need soy sauce, cooking oil, and some sugar.
Vegetarian Japanese Chicken in less than thirty minutes (serves 12)
- 2 pounds of vegetarian chicken meat substitute (Quorn chicken meat substitute is a good brand to use). Use defrosted or pop in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 4 teaspoons of diced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce
For a complete meal add;
- Rice or potatoes cooked in the microwave while you are making the main dish.
- 2 large bags of green salad mix tossed into a large bowl.
- Cut chicken subsitute in pieces.
- Place the oil in a large fry pan and saute the diced ginger for 2 minutes.
- Mix together the sugar and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Add them to the fry pan and saute the mixture for 10 more minutes.
- Your main course is ready to be served.
Add a side dish of rice or potato and a green salad for a scrumptious quick meal.