On Oct. 14, “Dancing with the Stars” repeats one of its popular themed shows, “Most Memorable Year of Your Life.” Each couple must dance to a song of the celebrities’ choosing that encompasses a memorable time or experience of their lives. These heartfelt performances are usually some of the most emotional and intense of the season.
To date, J.R. Martinez holds the record for the best dance from this particular theme night. In season 13, his riveting rumba with partner Karina Smirnoff to Tim McGraw’s “If You’re Reading This” brought down the house. The song was from 2003, the year he came close to death while serving in Iraq. McGraw’s song is about a soldier that sends a letter home. If his spouse is reading the letter, then it means that he didn’t survive the war. Martinez chose this particular song to honor all the soldiers who didn’t make it home like he did. He explained on “Dancing with the Stars,” “There are a lot of men and women and a lot of families out there that don’t get a second chance. So, for me, this dance is a tribute to the men and women that didn’t make it home.” Judge Carrie Ann Inaba, who was moved to tears, stated, “Heroes are normal people who do extraordinary things. Tonight, you did something extraordinary. You touched us all. That was one of the most profound, honest dances I’ve ever seen.” J.R. Martinez eventually went on to win season 13 of “DWTS.”
The stars, pros and fans are all a-twitter about the “Most Memorable Year of Your Life” theme tonight. Below are a few posts from Oct. 13 and 14.
- “The dancing gods must have heard me because Elizabeth Berkley is dancing to ‘I’m So Excited’ on ‘DWTS.’ I hope there are leg warmers!” – Joey O’Hern
- “Yep, it is indeed going down this Monday.” – Val Chmerkovskiy
- “What is the most memorable year of Brant’s life? TeamBrant dances contemporary tomorrow night – don’t miss it.” – Official DWTS
- “The countdown is on. 24 hours till DWTS on ABC. #CantWait #TeamJack.” – Cheryl Burke
- “Can’t wait for tomorrow’s dance. Snooki is going to blow everyone away.” – Sasha Farber
- “Rehearsal time! Dancing with the Stars! Everyday! Nonstop! Can’t wait for tomorrow!” – Christina Milian
- “What a great start to the day. My son is coming home to watch his pops on Dancing with the Stars.” – Bill Engvall
“Dancing with the Stars” leaderboard from Oct. 7, 2013:
- Elizabeth Berkley and Val Chmerkovskiy: 27
- Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff: 27
- Amber Riley and Derek Hough: 27
- Christina Milian and Mark Ballas: 24
- Jack Osbourne and Cheryl Burke: 24
- Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Sasha Farber: 24
- Leah Remini and Tony Dovolani: 24
- Brant Daugherty and Peta Murgatroyd: 21
- Bill Engvall and Emma Slater: 21
- Valerie Harper and Tristan MacManus: 18 (eliminated)
“Dancing with the Stars” combined leaderboard after four weeks of competition:
- Corbin Bleu: 24 + 26 + 26 + 27 = 103
- Amber Riley: 27 + 24 + 24 + 27 = 102
- Elizabeth Berkley: 24 + 25 + 25 + 27 = 101
- Christina Milian: 22 + 25 + 26 + 24 = 97
- Brant Daugherty: 22 + 23 + 27 + 21 = 93
- Jack Osbourne: 23 + 24 + 22 + 24 = 93
- Leah Remini: 21 + 24 + 24 + 24 = 93
- Nicole Polizzi: 23 + 20 + 25 + 24 = 92
- Bill Engvall: 18 + 21 + 24 + 21 = 84
New episodes of “Dancing with the Stars” air at 8 p.m. EST on Monday nights on ABC. To review all of the dances from last week, be sure to watch the video above and to the left.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on subscribe and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest ”DWTS” news.