Grown and harvested in your home garden or selected at the farm market, this is the time of year when tomatoes are so plentiful. This soup freezes well, so now is the time to take advantage!
7 1/2 tbsp butter, divided
1/2 cup flour
1 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
4 cups chicken stock
4 pounds tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dill weed
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
To make roux, melt 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, stir in flour till blended. Cook low 3 - 5 minutes stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Melt the rest of the butter in stock pot, add onions, cook until limp.
- Add garlic, cook another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil
- Whisk in roux.
- Add rest of ingredients, simmer 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.