January 3, 2014
Here are some notable events from TV history for today:
- "Colgate Theater" debuted on this date in 1949.
- "Dragnet" successfully migrated from radio to TV on this date in 1951.
- "The Jeffersons" proves that a spin-off can be successful as it aired its 100th episode on this date in 1979.
- "Hart to Hart" with Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers takes its high-society approach to crime fighting to its 100th episode on this date in 1984.
- The adventure show "Riptide" debuted on this date in 1984 on NBC.
- The first "Star Trek" show to not have input from the late Gene Roddenberry, "Deep Space Nine" debuts on this date in 1993, mostly in syndication, and proves how durable this franchise is.
- Bryant Gumbel says his farewells to "The Today Show" on this date in 1997.
- CBS finds a successful talk show to air after David Letterman as Craig Ferguson makes his "Late Show" debut on this date in 2005.
Here are some notable birth dates for today:
- Veteran TV actor Dabney Coleman who starred is several of his own shows celebrates a birthday today.
- Victoria Principal, mostly known for playing Pamela Ewing on "Dallas" was born today.