January 24, 2014
Here are some notable events in TV history for today:
- On this date in 1964, CBS acquired the rights to broadcast the NFL's 1964-5 season. The deal would cost CBS $14.1 million a year and this relationship would last 30 years.
- On this date in 1974, the Norman Lear comedy, "Hot L Baltimore" first aired. It was the first TV series to air a content warning. It only lasted 13 episodes.
- One of the most watched TV news events began on this day in 1995. The murder trial of O.J. Simpson started on this date.
- On this date in 2001, the remaining members of the "Texas Seven," a group of escaped fugitives were apprehended following a five minute phone interview on a TV station.
Here are some notable birthdays for today:
- John Belushi, who leaped to fame from "Saturday Night Live" was born on this date.
- Mischa Barton, best known for playing Marissa Cooper on "The O.C." celebrates of birthday today.
- Kristen Schaal, noted for appearing on such shows as "30 Rock" and "The Daily Show" was born today.