Here are some notable events in TV history for today:
- On this date in 1947, KTLA in Hollywood signed on as the first TV station west of the Mississsippi River.
- Gene Chandler made his first appearance on "American Bandstand" on this date in 1962.
- You can bet your sweet bippy that "Laugh-In" made its debut on NBC on this date in 1968.
- In HBO's first televised boxing match on this date in 1973, Joe Frazier lost the first fight of his professional career to George Foreman.
- On this date in 1987, Phil Donahue became the first American talk show host to tape a show from inside the Soviet Union. The shows were later broadcast in the United States.
- On this date in 1990, Slash from Guns 'n Roses gave a profanity-laced acceptance speech in the televised American Music Awards.
- Pat Summerall announced he was ending his 21-year old sports broadcasting partnership with John Madden after their Super Bowl broadcast on Fox on this date in 2002.
- Conan O'Brien ended his short stint on "The Tonight Show" on this date in 2010.
Here are some notable birthdays for today:
- Food Network star Guy Fieri was born today.
- Bill Bixby, star of such shows as "My Favorite Martian" and "The Magician" was born on this date.