Here are some notable events from TV history for today:
- On this date in 1953, "Studio One" became the first TV show transmitted from the U.S. to Canada.
- "Shindig" hosted The Rolling Stones and The Kinks on this date in 1965.
- Super Bowl XIX was seen by almost 116 million on this date in 1985. The highest audience to this date saw the 49ers beat The Dolphins. It was also the first Super Bowl in which commercials sold for a million dollars a minute.
- "Miami Vice" made it to 100 episodes on this date in 1989.
- On this date in 1998, "Dawson's Creek" debuted on the WB.
- On this date in 1999, ESPN announced the debut of The Great Outdoor Games which would be held in Lake Placid, New York in 2000.
- "Breaking Bad" debuted on this date in 2008.
Here are some notable birthdays for today:
- "Star Trek's' DeForest Kelley was born on this date.
- TV and radio pioneer George Burns was born today.