Here is today's TV obituary:
Noted TV comic actor, Paul Lynde, noted for his bits on "The Hollywood Squares" and his role on "Bewitched" as Uncle Arthur died on this day in 1982.
Here are some notable events from TV history for today:
- The NFL signed an exclusive agreement with CBS for all regular season games for $4.65 million.
- On this date in 1971, "Masterpiece Theater" hosted by Alistair Cooke debuted on PBS. The first series aired was "The First Churchills."
- On this date in 1980, "The Rockford Files" aired its last episode.
- On this date in 1985, Ted Nugent appeared on "Miami Vice."
- On this date in 1999, the series "Batman Beyond" first aired on the WB network.
- "The Sopranos" with James Gandolfini debuted on HBO on this date in 1999, helping to kick-off the cable drama revolution.
- On this date in 2005, CBS fired four executives over the airing of a segment on George W. Bush's military service. The segment, produced independently was found to have used forged documents.
Here are some notable birthdays for today:
- William Sanderson, Larry on "Newhart" celebrates a birthday today.
- Teresa Graves, who starred in "Get Christie Love" was born on this date.