Give your family a little time to talk before the meal begins. Enjoying a toasted baguette before dinner starts gives family members the same sensation they receive when dining at a restaurant. The recipe is simple with only three ingredients and can be prepared in just a few minutes. French bread has a wonderful texture and flavor that compliments any meal. Save half the batch and serve it near the end of the meal to sop up the juices, gravies or sauces spoons and forks leave behind.
- French bread baguettes
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400’.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the baguettes into slices.
- Cut each slice as uniformly as possible about a ½ inch in thickness.
- Use a pastry brush to lightly spread the olive oil over both sides of the bread.
- Now add just a sprinkling of a little salt on the top of each bread slice.
- Place the seasoned bread on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes so they get toasted.
- Now turn the slices over and toast for an additional 5-7 minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Transfer the toasted baguette slices to a cloth lined bread basket and serve while still warm.
- When you are ready to turn the slices over you can also sprinkle some fresh rosemary or some of your favorite herbs over the tops before toasted the second time.
- Finely crushed garlic will also taste great and add more flavor to the bread at the same time you can enjoy the health benefits garlic has to offer.
- Prepare these bread basket treats whenever you serve pasta with tomato sauce.
- Soups and stews have great tasting broths that you just can’t spoon up while eating, don’t waste that wonderful juice, and soak it up with a toasted baguette.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved